Whatever it takes?

"Pardon the intrusion. My name is Hinata Jiyu and I'm a special recommendations student. My quirk enables me to—to copy quirks that I've seen others use," I stammered. Never had I been the subject of attention for twenty people. "Thanks," I mumbled, and sat down in Seat 16 behind Midoriya.

"Socialise, study, eat for the rest of homeroom I don't care," Aizawa announced, and hopped out of the room in his sleeping bag. "You only have twenty-five minutes left, anyway."

The entire class was silent, and I could almost hear what they were thinking:

"How strong is she?"

"Is she the reason Baku came in with burns and scratches?"

"Is she Monoma?"

~oOo~

"No one knows about it. And it would be unwise to enlighten them. So, please... limit your power."

"Think of it this way: Where you came from is an original game server. And sometimes, these people come by with links to external, branched-out servers, right? Different worlds with different rules.

"I suppose you would call it 'anime'."

~oOo~

Twenty-five minutes left to ponder Nezu's answer. The more I thought about it, the more I formatted my thoughts like this:

Anime.

Different worlds of anime.

Human world = original world.

Me = original world.

Opal = link to external server.

I fingered the opal that hung around my neck. What would happen to me if I took it off? Zapped into Limbo, returned to real life, erase this world... what? It was a frightening and curious question to answer. What if someone else wore it? What if it broke? What if something impaled it but it was still in one piece?

So much I didn't know. I wiped my face on my arms and internally groaned.

A hand tapped my shoulder. "Hi, Jiyu." I looked up. It was Yaoyorozu. "I'm the vice-president, Momo Yaoyorozu. Since you just joined, and it's already been a week since school started, do you want my notes?"

"I'm Hinata Jiyu." I replied. "Notes for what?"

"You know, our main subjects."

"What are—" I stopped hastily to refrain from sounding like an idiot, "What are the main subjects?"

She looked bewildered. "Sorry, I, uh, come from the countryside."

"Oh, okay. So, the main subjects are Japanese, Maths, Science and English. Then we have the hero course stuff, which is training and Hero Law. The 'lesser' subjects are History, Geography and Art, but you'll find that the main subjects get you more points towards your final grade. So, how about it? Want me to lend you my notes?"

I figured that she meant well, so I accepted politely and opened her first notebook.

The main reason I could read and write despite my upbringing was because there were often voices coming from the downstairs rooms. When there weren't, I consulted the piles of textbooks in the corner of my wardrobe.

I had just found them there one day, dusty and old, yellowing. It was really interesting to read them with the limited English I picked up from the house, and soon I found myself delving into the maths books and the short stories. There was a lot I didn't understand or couldn't follow in the literature, but maths was simple, maths was strict and straightforward. There were absolute rules in maths.