The hidden power....

She was apoor girl who worked to get money to pay for her lessons she became the most famous famous woman scientist of her time. that is the story of Marie Curie's life.

woman scientist of her time. that is the story of Marie Curie's life.

She did not little notice of the honours that were give to her in later years.this was the secret of her greatness.

She was born Marie SKLodovska in 1867 Marie lived in Poland where her father was a teather .

Every one soon saw that Marie had aquick mind.she loved nothing better than to spend hours reading books.

But her bady was very thin and weak.so her mother often asked her to leave her lessons and play out in the sun.Marie's mother died when her youngest daughter was only ten.frpm then on.Marie knew that she would have to work very hard at her lessons if she wanted to be successful in her life .she studied very hard and and won top honours at her school.

Marie and her older sister, Bronya,dreamed of studing in frence at the Sorbonne.

Their father ,however, did not earn enough money to send them there.it was Marie who thought of a plan:she would teach at home and send money to Bronya.After her sister finished studing in paris,she could get work and send Marie the money there herself .With tears in her eyes the girls parted,and Marie worked very hard for six years to pay for her sister's studies.At last it was Marie's turn but by the time she got to French,her sister was married and could not give her much help.

     Again Marie worked.she studied in asmall room without heat or light.she lived on bread and tea most of the time,but all  she never tought of was mathematics and science.this was her world,and above all,she like her experiments.It was in paris that she met and married Pierre Curie,a young scientist who had al ready earned respected.

Together they made their experiments in an old wooden house that was too cold and damp for their health,they knew that some in the world gave off a strange power that could go through other objects.They found more of this power in some elements than the other,which made them believe that it must be anew element.then they for four years they tried experiments to separate this powerful elements.then they found something which they called radium.its power was very much greater than the power contained in the other elements.

The Curies were given the Noble Prize for their great discovery,but they were too ill to go to Stockholm themselves to receive it.They used the money for further experiments on the uses of radium.they found it could be used in treating diseases.

Pierre died suddenly  just after he had been offered a good post at te Sorbonne.

Marie Curie was given the post. She thus became he first woman ever to teach there.

She containued their work and made many more important  discoveries.In 1911 she received another Nobel Prize.it is only time in history that two Nobel Pizes have been given to the same person.

Marie Curie discovered ahidden power and gave it to the world .

It was this same power,however,that killed her in 1934