Will I see you again?

Start from the beginning

"I… I just…" Jake said, staring at the doorway the blond had disappeared through.

"I think it's best if we go to your apartment," Maria said softly.

"Oh, but both of you don't have to leave," Sarah hurriedly cut in. "Jake, I'm afraid it's best that you do, until things have calmed down."

"Thank you," Maria said, "but it will be a bit awkward for me… Jacob, you have some thinking to do as well. Mark and I talked before, he was going to talk to you too, but-"

"So you knew? That he didn't want children?" Jake asked tensely.

"All he said to me was that he at least wasn't ready now, but that he would think things over… but yes, you should assume he'll never want any and make your decisions from there."

"And then apologize your ass off," O'Connor snorted. "Seriously, would you sign the adoption papers without talking to him too? Besides, if he wanted kids or not is something you should know."

Jake's face turned stony and he curtly excused himself to go pack. The room emptied, leaving only Lance and O'Connor behind.

"I'm an asshole," Lance sighed.

"Good," the redhead stated.

"What?"

"It's good that I didn't have to say it."

"You were going to, then?"

"Oh, yes."

"Good. I deserve it. Fuck! It's like I've had my head up my ass! What the hell was I thinking?"

"You were in shock and angry… being angry with Mark was probably easier than being angry at the concept of death or something. That doesn't make you any less of an asshole though."

"I'm gonna go ask him to forgive me."

"Do you know where he went?"

Lance smiled a small, sad smile. "Yeah. I know exactly where he is."

O'Connor followed him to the attic, and then toward the darkest corner of it. A blond head was seen behind some dusty boxes.

"Hey, Mark?" Lance called out carefully.

"Yeah?" a small voice answered.

The roof slanted so much that Lance had to crawl the last bit, and once he did he grabbed his friend, hugging him fiercely.

"I'm so sorry, Mark. I'm so, so, sorry. I've been the biggest asshole in the history of time!" he claimed. His friend didn't hug him back, though, just shrugged and sort of nodded.

"Is… did he leave?"

"I… I think so."

"What if he never… what if...?" Mark's shoulders started shaking.

"It will work out! I promise!" Lance understood that, right now, it was Jake that was in the forefront of Mark's mind. He settled next to him and just kept an arm over the blond's shoulders. They sat there for a while until Mark suddenly lifted his head.

"Is there someone else here?"

"I'm here," O'Connor said, "Sorry, I didn't want to intrude so I didn't say anything…"

"Oh. Okay. Could… could you leave us alone?" Mark asked politely, but underneath it was an order.

"Of course. It's kinda creepy up here anyway," the redhead said lightly. "I'll go work. Let me know if you want me to kick anyone's ass later. Anyone's ass."