“Do you not know crying and begging never works?” A woman said.

Jeremy jumped up and looked behind himself; he thought he was alone.

Jeremy looked around checked again, but saw no one. He was sure he heard someone though.

“Hello?” he called.

Nothing.

“Anyone out there?”

No one replied. Jeremy wiped his eyes and stood up. Could he simply be thinking to himself? He must have been. He dismissed his thoughts and kneeled back down on the ground. He was glad to have snapped himself out of crying again.

Jeremy silently prayed to have good dreams of Max instead of the ones of her dying every night. When he was done he took everything inside him and left Max. It was harder than he thought but he pushed back down the path and into his car.

That night Jeremy’s dreams were peaceful.

The next morning Jeremy convinced himself to wake up and go to work. When he walked through the doors Franky stopped.

“Are you okay?” Franky asked.

“Yeah. I’m good, why?” Jeremy was confused.

“Well its been like month since you just came to work.”

“Yeah well I slept pretty good last night.”

Franky pulled Jeremy into his office since the women were staring at them.

“Really? No weird dreams or anything?”

“None that I can remember. I think it’s cause I went to go see her yesterday.”

Franky’s eyes widened. “Really?” after you left here?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s’s good man, you’re making progress. You don’t know how happy this makes me.” Franky patted Jeremy’s shoulders.

“Well I’m trying. I may go back today to see if the dreams stay away.”

Franky didn’t want to get in the way of Jeremy’s progress with negativity, so he kept his thoughts to himself.

Later in the evening Jeremy went back to see Max. This time he felt at ease. His breathing was troubled but he managed to make the walk peacefully. It still shocked Jeremy to see her name on the tombstone and was beside himself once again. Jeremy sat in front of her with his head on his knees.

“Sometimes I wish it was me instead of you, but then you’d be in pain and I’d never wan that.” He sighed. He was talking to a tombstone.

Jeremy wasn’t sure why he was talking to a tombstone, he just needed to feel like he was speaking to her some how. Maybe the message would get to her, maybe not but trying didn’t hurt.

“I’m trying Max , I promise you I’m trying. Every moment of every day I try to live how I did before but it’s impossible without you. I’m trying to remember what it’s like to be happy because I no longer have access to that emotion.”

Jeremy sat down with his back against the tombstone. He wished someone would answer him back. He remembered the girl at the airport, she moved on with her life and seemed happy. Maybe if he got her number he could ask her how she did it.  He sat there thinking and thinking; the sun was beginning to set.

He closed his eyes and outside became slightly lighter. Jeremy quickly opened his eyes and there was a woman standing across the clearing. He squinted and rubbed his eyes to make sure he wasn’t mistaken. He wasn’t. she wore a long white gown and had pale skin and long black hair.

“Um…Are you okay?” he said.

She smiled.

“I’m fine, are you okay?” she continued to smile.

“I think so.” He hesitated.

“Okay.” She turned and began to walk towards the creek.

“Wait! What are you doing here?”

she looked back winked and continued walking.

Jeremy was very confused by the woman. He wondered why she as going to the creek. Nervous that she was suicidal, Jeremy quickly got up and left.

When he drove in his car he felt odd. He had never seen anyone else at the forgotten cemetery before.

Again Jeremy slept peacefully.

The next day Jeremy called Franky into his office.

“So I went to visit her and I saw a woman there.” Jeremy said the moment Franky sat down.

“Okay. So?”

“I’ve never seen anyone there before.”

“Okay, I’m missing the point to your story.” Franky said.

“Honestly, I’m not sure what my point is. It was just weird. I asked her if she was okay, she said fine, but then she started walking towards the creek. I thought that was odd. You haven’t heard about any suicides right?”

“Uh no.” Franky looked strangely. “I haven’t watched the news this morning.”

“Oh and she was wearing a night gown. That was odd also.”

“Are you sure you’re okay? Did you take anything or have more dreams?”

“No, no dreams or meds. Peaceful sleep.”

Jeremy found himself back at the cemetery that night. This time he wasn’t sure if he was looking for peaceful sleep or the woman.

He jus sta there rubbing the dirt wishing he could touch her again.

He closed his eyes and began to bang his head on the tombstone trying to make sense of things.

“Boy, doesn’t that hurt?” A man asked.

Jeremy’s eyes shot open to find a man standing in front of him.

“Who are you?” Jeremy said.

The man was dressed in a dingy old black suit. His hair was well groomed to the side and he had a bushy mustache with the ends pointed up.

“That’s for you not to worry.” The man bowed.

Jeremy looked around confused. “Okay. Well why are you here?” he made sure to stay on the ground because this man creeped him out.

“Just making a visit is all.”

Jeremy noticed the man spoke with an accent as if he was from the early nineteen hundreds.

“Um can you please step back sir? You’re a little close for comfort.”

“Absolutely young man, I best be on my way anyways.”

The man began to walk towards the creek just as the woman had. He’d never been to the creek but didn’t understand what these people were going there for. He kept a close eye on the man and before he past the trees the man completely disappeared.

Jeremy gasped.