"Well, that's great because I didn't have dinner."

I paused and narrowed my eyes at Gene, watching as he sat down, taking a bag of crackers from my bag. "You didn't eat dinner?"

"I guess you could say I was in a bit of a rush," Gene shrugged, throwing his head back when he put a cracker in his mouth. "These taste like heaven."

I shook my head and sat next to Gene. Something didn't feel right when Gene said that he didn't eat dinner because he was in a bit of a rush. Instead of pushing on, I dropped it, my head hanging down slightly as I fiddled with my fingers.

Gene sighed, laying back to stare at the sky. "My brother was bugging me," He admitted, "I had to get out of the house."

I nodded, understanding what he was talking about. It was easy to argue with your siblings.  "What was he doing?" 

Gene rolled his eyes before covering them with his arm. "He was asking me about you."

My eyes widened as I tried my best not to choke. "M-Me?"

"Yeah," Gene grumbled, "He was asking about how I met you, what you liked, if we were dating-"

"D-Dating?"

"Dante likes to date a lot of girls," Gene responded casually, "It boosts his ego."

"Oh." 

"It's okay. I told him that you were off limits." Feeling overwhelmed and a bit sweaty, the pond looked very appealing.  After a few seconds, Gene removed his arm from covering his face, his lips pursed in a thin line. "I have a question, but you don't have to answer it if you don't want to." Looking at him curiously, I waved my hand, telling him to continue. "Uh, well, I was curious about your brother. You know, I never see him and you said that you don't like talking-"

"Yeah," I cut him off, my voice quiet. Clearing my throat, I spoke a bit louder, "That's a bit of a long story."

"Do you have a bad relationship or something?" Gene pressed on.

"N-No, never. I love my brother to pieces," I said, shaking my head almost violently.

"Then, why don't you talk about him?"

"I- well, you see," I laughed dryly, looking up at the moon. "He doesn't really visit much."

Gene, sensing my uneasiness, took a hold of my hand, his thumb rubbing the back of my palm soothingly. "College really sucks."

I felt terrible. Not because Gene was talking about my brother, it was more like I felt terrible about not telling him in the first place. I liked dancing around the subject, avoiding it at all costs. I thought that it would make me feel better that way, not letting people know what was actually happening, why I get terrified when the phone rings, why I can't go to sleep at night. Something was nagging at me to tell him, to provide some sort of relief to the endless suffering in my mind.

"He's dead," I confessed, bitting my bottom lip. I didn't look at Gene but I knew he was a bit surprised from the way his thumb paused on the back of my palm. "I- yeah, he-"

"You don't have to tell me, you know?" Gene cut in, his voice soft, his thumb resuming the same movements as a few moments before.

"I know, I want to though."

I told him about everything up to this point. I told him about how my brother would sneak out, how he would somehow find himself in trouble. I told him about the phone call and how the ringing still haunts me. I told him about how my brother died and about how my dad decided to take his own life. I told him about my mom and how she changed and about how she decided she was going to protect me.

Every time that I would stutter and have to take a deep breath, Gene would lightly squeeze my hand, reassuring me that he was here. Gene listened carefully, not interrupting as I spoke. He sat up in the middle of my story, taking a hold of my other hand as well. When I was done and on the verge of tears, he smiled at me and told me that I did a good job, saying that he was proud that I told him even though it was hard.

I stared into his soft eyes, not understanding why people thought so poorly of him. He wasn't anything like the rumors said at school. He was not dangerous or deceitful, he was passionate and courteous. He wasn't some monster that lurked around the corner, he was a friend with open arms. No one understood him. But I did.

That night, I had my first kiss.

I knew by the way he looked at me, by the way that his lips felt on mine, that I loved him. The butterflies in my stomach swarming my mind, not letting me think about anything else but him.

I was utterly in love with him.

Gene was my everything.

༺༒༻

Am I the only one crying?

This is the chapter that I have been waiting to write ever since I started this book over a year ago. I am literally so happy now. I hope you all liked it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Ah, the emotions are killing me right now.

Anyway, I love all of you. <3

Little Dove (Gene x Reader) | Phoenix Drop HighOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara