D.Nolan - "A New Addition" (C)

Start from the beginning

Responses to this news ranged from excitement to annoyance, my reaction lying somewhere in the prior. David and Henry has been talking about getting a dog for a while, we just didn't know where to get one.

"Was it hurt at all when you found it?" I asked, stepping slightly away from David's embrace to reach my hand out to the dog.

"No. But I don't think it can see."

My eyebrows shot up and I glanced up at David for a brief moment. As I bent down and got a closer look, I could tell something was off about the coloring of its eyes, but eyes looking glassed over was different than being blind.

I moved my hand to gently touch its nose. It jerked back as if surprised there was even anybody there and hurried back in the opposite direction.

"See what I'm talking about?" David asked.

I shrugged. "It might just be really skittish."

He shook his head, slowly placing his hand in front of the bown puppy's nose. Once it started sniffing his hand, it seemed to recognize who was there and rubbed against him, its tail starting to wag.

"Watch," David ordered.

I did as he said and watched very closely while he waved his hand in front of the dog's eyes. Instead of following the movement with its eyes, it only stared straight forward and started to drift off to sleep.

"Do you see what I'm saying?" David spoke when nobody gave any response.

I only nodded.

"So we're keeping him?" Henry questioned, an excited edge lingering in his young voice.

"Well..." David glanced at me before giving a response. "I'd like to, if everybody's okay with it."

I nodded enthusiastically. "I'm okay with it."

All eyes turned to Emma - who gave a reluctant nod - and then to Regina, who said, "Don't look at me. I don't live here."

I smiled at David, who gave a broad smile in return.

"Well, I guess that settles it."

~3 weeks later~

"How are you, beautiful?" David asked as he plopped down on the cushion next to me. "I haven't gotten to see you much today."

I rested my head on his shoulder, an easy smile creeping onto my face. "I know, you've been out doing sheriff stuff all day."

He chuckled. "Sorry about that."

"I can't believe you left me here all day with an insane puppy running loose around the apartment," I joked.

I brushed a lock of hair off his forehead, the sight of his laughter bringing another, larger smile to my face. His brightly-colored eyes gazed into mine while he laughed.

"How is he, by the way?"

I shrugged. "Same as usual. He's actually adjusted pretty well - it's like he can see normally. Henry came over for a while earlier and played with him the whole time."

"I still can't believe Henry can get him to play. All he'll do when I'm around is sleep."

I shoved his shoulder. "Whatever. He likes you more than he likes me; you're the only person he'll cuddle with."

David laughed and buried his face in the crook of my neck. I shifted closer to him, his soft breaths tickling the skin where his face was.

"Are you upset that the dog won't cuddle with you?" he teased.

I giggled. "Shut up, Nolan."

"It's okay, (y/n), I'll cuddle with you."

He gently pushed me down sideways, crawling on top of me and showering me with kisses everywhere he could get to - my cheeks, my neck, my forehead, my collarbone.

"David, stop," I managed to get out in between my laughs.

He gave my nose a quick peck. "I'll stop when I feel like it."

Right after he said that, I felt a tug on the jeans of my leg that was dangling off the side of the couch. I looked down to see our puppy there, tugging at the hem of my jeans while pawing at my leg.

"Davidm look," I told him quietly.

He rose an eyebrow in confusion before looking at what I was gesturing to. He laughed, sat up, and reached down to pick the dog up and put him on the couch in between us.

"Looks like someone else wanted in one the cuddling," he commented, another brief chuckle escaping his grinning lips.