Iced

"Your brother did WHAT?" Growled North. He had just sat down to relax after being on Weston Duty, which was shaping up to be more challenging than Luke Duty. I walked closer to the living room entryway to listen and peek  around the corner but stayed out of sight.

Lansen cleared his throat and timidly related, "Uncle Raven was teaching our science class about the properties of matter and...ummm...said we should practice our abilities to affect physical changes on water...so...well...Weston peed in the ice cube mold and...." He trailed off with a wince and eyes zeroing in on the glass of iced tea in North's hand.

North's gaze snapped to the drink he had just sipped and after a beat of horrid realization spewed the liquid all over the rug.

"FUCK! I mean....Shit, don't tell your mother I said that...or that..." North was already grabbing a nearby cloth.
"Why the f....why would you all put that in the freezing unit?!"

I covered my mouth to keep in the giggles that were erupting. I wanted to hear what was coming next.

"Well...Daddy Kota said we should preserve our class projects at least until we could show Mom," Lansen's voice wavered. Brave kid. I do wonder how many favors he's wracking up from his brothers for baring the bad news to Daddy North.

"Sorry, Lansen...just...shoot, here take this to the kitchen and put in the cleaner," North grunted as he continued to mop up the mess, grumbling about the many ways to fry North Kolarians.

I looked to the window and sure enough five little heads ducked down behind the rose bushes. Through the leaves I watched as they took flight around the outside of the house. With them was one big culprit with blond locks.

Lansen was headed toward my hiding place, but hadn't noticed me yet since he was too busy covering his own silent laughter. Lansen turned the corner into the kitchen area and as he saw me his face melted from mirth to guilt. I levelled him with my best Mom Stare and waited.  As the confession started bubbling up, I stopped him with a hand motion and asked, "Was it true?"

His lips worked, but he pulled his face back into a contrite expression, answering, "No. We just added some salt and food dye."

I managed to keep my own face schooled as I pronounced in my best Owen voice, "You should leave the pranking to your Father. You and the others will join him for a kasse tomorrow."

Lansen started to object, "But Daddy Luke said..." I again stopped him with a hand.

"At least, I am not telling Daddy North the truth." Then I lightened my voice and added, "Next time, you make sure to include me so no one gets caught."

With that I sent him to put the glass away and give my verdict to his siblings, while I helped North finish cleaning.