“Are you alright?” He asked, his voice obviously masked with concern. I gritted my teeth and nodded.

He sighed. “You really are a horrible liar,” He said.

“I just nodded my head,” I defended myself weakly. He chuckled. Something warm and slightly rough ran across my cheek, which oddly, made some of the pain disappear. I sighed in relief and enjoyed the feel.

I finally forced my eyes opened and gasped as they met with Noah’s. His face was leveled with mine and no more than an inch away. His eyes seemed to be a shade darker and were filled with concern.

Something moved and I caught it from the corner of my vision. Without moving my head, I rolled my eyes as downwards as they could go. I saw Noah’s tanned hand cupping my face, explaining the feeling of warmth. Despite myself, I automatically felt heat rushing to my face and I was surely turning deep red. As this happened, a slight smile began to form on Noah’s face. But just before it fully reached his eyes, it froze. The smile remained but a slight twinge of anger pooled in his eyes.

“We need to get you out of here,” He stated, taking his hand off my face. My bottom lip gutted out in protest.

“But I wanted to stay here!” I whined. Picking up his hand manually and placing it on my face again. He sighed.

“Amber…” He trailed off, his eyes darting to something behind him. I followed his gaze and saw my father sprawled out on the living room floor. I had forgotten he was even in the room.

I waited for my father to get up off the floor and attack us, but he didn’t move. He remained still. Motionless. His face was unnaturally pale and I couldn’t make out the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed.

He was dead. Or at least, he would be soon. As horrible as it must sound, I felt safer and relieved. I was staring at my father’s dead body for goodness sake, but I couldn’t bring myself to have even an ounce of guilt.

But what would happen to Noah? I froze.

My eye snapped to meet Noah’s wary ones. My mouth popped open as I gawked at him in shock. He stared back, not breaking contact, but shame filled his eyes.

“You’re an idiot!” I yelled, shoving his chest with all my strength. I almost smiled as he stumbled backwards, looked affected for once.

“What were you thinking? Do you know what this means?” I shouted, my voice raising an octave. He looked surprised by my outburst.

“I’m sorry but he had it coming,” Noah muttered, looking at the floor. I rolled my eyes at him but I was far from amused.

“I’m not mad at you for hurting him! Well, actually, I am. But I’m only mad because next week, I’ll be freaking visiting you in prison!” I shrieked. Noah suddenly looked amused, but that only made my temper flare.

“Don’t you dare laugh, Noah Flynn! This is not funny!”

He chuckled, despite my past sentence. “He won’t press charges,” Noah said.

“He doesn’t have to! He’s dead! It’s not like he can get up and tell the cops all is good now!” I yelled. Noah rolled his eyes.

“He’s not dead. At least I don’t think he is,” Noah said. He kicked my father rather hard in the lower region. He groaned and buried his face in the carpet.

“Alive, see?” Noah smirked at me. I crossed my arms and huffed.

“Fine. He’s alive. You’ll go to jail for assault and possible attempted murder. Yipee!” I cheered sarcastically.