That was why they were walking in the woods, walking towards the tomb Katherine was stuck in. Katherine was the only source of information they had about Klaus and they needed to know more about him.

As soon as they had reached the entrance to the tombs, Elena turned to Caroline and said, "Tell everyone I wasn't feeling well, and Ava took me home from school."

Caroline sighed, "I can't believe I'm agreeing to this. I'm a terrible liar."

Elena ignored Caroline's statement, "And keep Stefan busy. I don't want him to know what we're up to."

"I'm even worse at duplicity and you know this." Caroline argued, not wanting to lie to Stefan.

Elena raised an eyebrow at the blonde, "You managed to keep me occupied when Katherine paid Stefan a visit."

Ava loved Caroline, she really did. She was her best friend while Bonnie was Elena's. However, Elena was her sister and what Caroline did was rude regardless of why so she nodded in agreement with her twin, "Also spied on Elena and Stefan's relationship for her, and even tried to break them apart."

Caroline cringed at the mention of her old behavior. "Yeah, because she threatened me. Not that I'm saying that you should use that as a tactic, it's...Stefan's gonna see right through me."

Elena sighed in annoyance and stopped walking so she could stare at Caroline. "Caroline, as my friend, do you promise or not?" she asked, playing the friend card.

"You had to break out the girlfriend code." Caroline muttered under her breath, "Okay. I promise. But I don't understand why you don't want Stefan to know about this."

"Because he would never be okay with me doing this." Elena explained.

"Also, Katherine wouldn't say a thing about Klaus if Stefan is present. Instead, she would try to catch up on Elena and Stefan's relationship. Stefan is already distracting enough for Elena, we can't add Katherine on the list as well when we need her to talk about big bad wolf." Ava added, earning a small glare from Elena.

The girls went under the church where Katherine was trapped in a cave where no vampire who entered it walk out ever again.

"Are you sure you two want to do this?" Caroline asked, again.

Elena nodded, "Yes, I'm sure. She's the only one who knows the truth about Klaus. The only one who can tell us how to stop him."

"We have no choice. We need some information about this guy and all we have Rose, who is more terrified about Elijah than Klaus because even she hasn't seen him." Ava explained, hoping that Katherine would actually tell them something other than the legend Rose told them.

Caroline rolled her eyes. "But you're asking for the truth from someone who's probably never giving it. Are you sure about this?"

Elena nodded quickly, "Yeah. We can't just sit back and wait. We have to know, Caroline. Please."

Caroline, unwillingly, walked towards the door that shut the cave, and lifted it so the twins could talk to Katherine face to face.

"Katherine?" Elena called out, but no one responded. She turned to Caroline and said, "We'll be okay from here."

"Hello, wicked bitch of the east?" Ava tried calling out.

Caroline chuckled at Ava's nickname as she patiently waited for Katherine to come out.

Ava waited patiently, hoping that Katherine would show up. She really needed to speak to Katherine, she had to know if Klaus was real and if he was, she needed to know how she could stop him. They had been through a lot this year, starting with their dead parents and vampires coming back to town. The last thing she wanted was to become more involved with vampire drama.