"What's wrong?"

"I forgot it," she whispered but somehow he hears it over Freddie's obnoxious playing, "I forgot the present."

"Who's present?" Roger asked and she glares at him.

"Your present," she hissed sarcastically, "Who's present do you think, Rog? Freddie's!"

"Oh," he said calmly, "It's okay, we can just give it to him the next time we see him."

"But it won't be his birthday then," she pouted and he leant forward and kissed her, unable to help himself.

Kash excuses herself from the table when the phone rings and Freddie's mum breaks the silence by starting a new conversation with Brian, "Freddie tells me you're a scientist."

"Astrophysicist, actually," he corrects brightly, a little smirk on his face as he points childishly at Roger, "He studies dentistry. He's a dentist!"

Kash announces that the phone is for Freddie, who disappears from the table once again while Roger rolls his eyes and Rebecca giggled, "I was never a dentist."

"He's a dentist." John repeats, shoving another forkful of food into his mouth.

"A biologist," Rebecca says casually and everyone gives a noise of understanding as Freddie comes back to the table and she's the only one who notices that he seems to be rather stunned, "You okay, Freddie?"

"Everyone, I have some news," he announced and the table falls silent as everyone turns their attention to him. "That was John Reid, calling from EMI; they manage Elton." his voice shakes, "Someone's given him a demo of our recording, and he wants to meet with us, possibly even manage us."

He's met with stunned silence and Rebecca looks around the table to Brian, who's staring at John who's staring at Roger and Roger's just staring at his plate - too stunned to say anything. It's as if time has frozen.

And then Rebecca's throwing her arms around him as the room starts moving again; Mary's up embracing Freddie, Brian and John are smiling at each other in disbelief and Hannah, well she's doing what she does best, catching the moment with her camera.
"Congratulations, Roger," Rebecca whispers against his cheek and he lets out a shocked laugh.
He doesn't quite believe that that's just happened.

||-||

After finishing up lunch with Freddie's family, they moved from their house, back to Brian's, which was the closest.

Things there were a little more relaxed there and they celebrated the news of their potential signing on their own.

Roger and Rebecca are sharing the small chair he has. She's perched on his knee and they're watching John and Mary dance.

"Have I told you that you look lovely today?" Roger whispered, making her look away from the dancing duo with a faint smile on her lips.

"You know, I don't think you have," she teased, "Put on my best frock too."

He hummed softly, toying with the fabric belt that was tied around her waist, "It is a lovely dress."

"Thank you."

"Though it'd look better on the floor." he nipped her earlobe gently.

Rebecca chose to ignore that comment, choosing to stand up when a little jazzy number came from the record player.

"Dance with me," she requested, holding out her hand, frowning when he shook his head, "What? Why?"

"Not my thing," he says, fishing for his cigarettes and she huffs.

"Please?"

He shook his head again, laughing at the frustrated look on her face but it soon disappears when Brian appears beside her and holds out a hand.

"I'll dance with you, Becca."

She sticks her tongue out at Roger before letting Brian lead her to a spot with a little more space, laughing when he twirls her under his arm and it gives Roger just a little bit of time to think.

The meeting with the people from EMI is in a few days. He doesn't really know what to expect or what they're going to offer but he's thinking that if they manage Elton John, then they must think that Queen has potential.

The song changes to one with a slower beat and his eyes move back to where Brian and Rebecca are still dancing but now, the tall guitarist has his hands respectably on her waist and although he knows that Brian would never think about doing anything with his girlfriend, Roger still doesn't like it and he gets up from his seat, clearing his throat when he reaches the pair.

A smirk plays on Brian's lips as he wordlessly steps back, letting Roger take his place.

"I thought you don't dance," Rebecca didn't look at him, stubbornly keeping her eyes on a spot over his shoulder.

"I don't," he replied, "But I didn't like his hands being there."

"It's Brian," she said seriously, "Please tell me you're not jealous of Brian."

"I'm jealous of anyone who puts their hands on you."

"You're an idiot." she steps closer to rest her head on his shoulder, hiding the smile when she felt him kiss the top of her head. But he was her idiot.