It was a slick operation - it had to be. She was Cheryl Cole, an integral part of the multi-million pound industry that was Girls Aloud, a brand in her own right, a small but effective global conglomerate. A star that was rising ever further into the stratosphere.

And today, right now, sitting behind the wheel of her car with the engine still running, this was the last chance she'd have to catch her breath. She knew what she needed to do.

If Kimberley was at all taken off guard by her sudden appearance she hid it well.

Cheryl waited on the threshold expectantly, her hands clasped in front of her, gloved to conceal her empty ring finger from the prying lenses of any stray photographers.

"Hiya babe," she whispered softly, lashes fluttering unconsciously in that way that made Kimberley's stomach clench.

She gave a slight shake of her head as her mouth curled up on one side. Of course Cheryl would choose today to turn up on her doorstep unannounced.

But as she ushered her in the other more obvious thought entered her head. The reason behind the visit.

"No Justin?" Cheryl enquired with a backward glance as she sauntered through to the kitchen.

"No. He's in Bristol, visiting Chloe."

Of course, Cheryl already knew this. Kimberley had mentioned it a few weeks ago. It wasn't the sort of information Cheryl allowed herself to forget.

"So," Kimberley began as she followed Cheryl to her breakfast table, her face offering a tight smile, her mood suddenly flooded with unease.

They stood facing each other across the table, Cheryl's bag and keys and about a half dozen unspoken confessions between them.

And this was new to both of them. The uncomfortable silence. The refrigerator hummed gently and the clocked ticked ominously from the wall.

"Kimberley, I-"

"Would you like a drink?" she interrupted, a sudden desperation to prolong whatever it was Cheryl was getting ready to launch into.

"Er, okay."

"What would you like?"

"Just - whatever, you've got. Water, actually. I'm a bit parched."

Kimberley fussed about with the glasses, keeping her back to Cheryl as she did so.

"D'ya want me to knock up some lunch, love? I was just about to eat."

Her throat might have felt like sandpaper, but Cheryl's stomach had begun to churn in a way that seemed dangerous to provoke with food. Her rapidly diminishing confidence wasn't being helped by Kimberley's stalling.

"I'm not really hungry babe, but you go ahead and eat."

Kimberley looked almost crestfallen at the admission. "You sure? I could do you a salad...or... Ooh, I've got this really nice quiche I could warm up."

Cheryl shook her head no and insisted Kimberley just go ahead and help herself.

"But, I can't have it all on my own. And look, it goes off today. You sure? Go on..." her smile was enticingly wicked and altogether inappropriate for the subject.

Cheryl was soon swayed and Kimberley was relieved to have something to do with herself, sorting out the oven, the cutlery, avoiding meeting Cheryl's gaze directly.

"Right," she said at last, the quiche in the oven, two places set at the table, her smile almost frantic in her desperation to appear at ease.

"So, you've probably gathered this isn't a social call," Cheryl began, arching her eyebrow pointedly.

"Well, I had heard."

"Hilary?"

Kimberley nodded, finally flicking her eyes up to meet Cheryl's expectant face.

"And?" her hand was on the table, leather gloves still on, but fingers splayed and searching.

"If that's what you want Cheryl," Kimberley offered, the line she had been practicing in her head as sincere and appropriate now finally spoken and sounding trite and over rehearsed. "You know we're all here for you."

Cheryl blinked deliberately a couple of times and took a sip from her water.

"Yeah, I know that," she said cautiously, not comprehending how the dissolution of her marriage could be met with anything other than support from the rest of the band.

"Good. 'Cos... it's true," Kimberley smiled again and gave a slight shrug, bowing her head to scratch her neck.

She's nervous, Cheryl finally conceded. She's scared as fuck as to what I'm gonna say.

It was an unusual role-reversal between the two, with Cheryl so accustomed to leaning on Kimberley for support whenever a situation overwhelmed her and her anxiety took hold.

But for once, and perhaps ironically given that this was the biggest situation Cheryl had gotten herself into, she felt no fear. She'd made her resolution less than 24 hours ago. She had no intention of caving in now.

"Kimberley," she began steadily, "You know why I left him."

"Because he was a cheat and a liar," she answered glibly. "Because he didn't love you. He didn't deserve you."

"Because I didn't love him." Cheryl said defiantly. "You know that don't you? And you know why."

"Cheryl..." Kimberley's tone betrayed her, eyes flicking nervously about, totally torn by ambivalence as to whether she wanted to hear this.

"It's you, Kimberley. I love you."