Diath-Regret

AN: This takes place during Season 1, near the end of the Waffle Crew's adventures in the Amber Temple.

Diath looked at himself in horror. He had become a monster, at least on the outside. He was suddenly thankful that the party didn't have access to any mirrors so he wouldn't have to look at his face. Diath could feel the dark power coursing through his veins. It was not a pleasant sensation. It was like his blood had been infected with evil, and his blood ran colder than it ever had before. The worst part of it was that van Richten had raised Strix, so his decision had really been for nothing. At least he knew that if one of his friends died he could save them. Only problem was that he didn't have any large diamonds laying around, and he couldn't just pick one up.

Diath deeply regretted his decision, but he wouldn't tell his party that. He knew that they were struggling enough on their own. The party didn't need more problems to worry about. Evelyn had been cured of her lycanthropy, so at least they didn't have to think about that anymore. Diath was also curious where Paultin had gone and how he had come back so suddenly. He would have to ask the bard about that later. Diath didn't really want the party to be keeping secrets from each other.

He sighed as they entered the tunnel out of the Amber Temple with van Richten. He knew that from now on, everything would be different, and yet, the same. Of course, the party wouldn't treat him any differently because of what he looked like, but other people would be unnerved by the way he now looked. Diath was not a vain man, but he missed his good looks more than he would have liked to admit.

Diath was lost in thought when all of a sudden, Strix came up to him and put her hand on his shoulder. Diath was surprised by this, as Strix usually hated contact with others. However, Strix had seemed to notice that he was upset.

"Hey, it's going to be okay," she told him. "We will find a way to fix you, but until then, know that you will always be my friend."

"Thanks," said Diath. Even though he already knew he had Strix's support, hearing her say it out loud made him feel better.

"Besides, you did it to save my life. That's more than anyone has ever done for me. You are such an incredible friend, and I will never forget it," Strix told him.

"Even if it didn't save you?" Diath asked.

"Even if it didn't save me," Strix replied. "You care about me so much that you would make a deal with a dark power to save me. That's more than I could ever ask for in a friend."

"I'd do it again for you," Diath said. It surprised him, but he realized that it was the truth. Even though it hadn't been the thing to save her, he would do it again if he had to. He would have done anything he could have to save his friends, especially Strix. She was the one he had known the longest, and he cared about her immensely. Diath took her hand, and this time, she didn't pull away. Even though he still looked like a monster, Diath was happy to be here, with Strix. He suddenly felt better than he had in a long time. He really did believe that she would find a way to fix him, and even if she didn't, it wouldn't change anything. The two of them walked out of the Amber Temple together, still holding hands.