Full Deleted Scenes from Heir of Fire

Start from the beginning

Beneath her pale blond hair, her face was a concoction of ivory and soft rose, her eyes a vibrant cerulean blue. They with delight as they fixed on Rowan.

She didn't so much as spare Celaena a passing glance as she slid gracefully off her white mare. "Rowan!" She advanced, holding out her hands. Her fingers were slender and long—and as flawless as the rest of her.

"Lady Remelle," Rowan said, his mastic hands engulfing hers as he took them. His spine was straight as a rod, and though Remelle looked at their joined hands as if expecting him to place a kiss—gods, the idea of Rowan kissing anyone's hand—he dropped her fingers unceremoniously and turned to the other two Nobels dismounting.

"Lord Benson," he said to the tall, slender male, who just nodded at him. Benson, Celaena noted, bothered to look at her—his long nose. And dark eyes sweeping over her body, then moving on. Dismissed. "Lady Essar," Rowan said to the small, dark-haired Fae female.

Remelle might have the staggering beauty, but Essar had a set of curves that even Celaena found herself envying. Her light brown skin seemed to glow as if lit by an inner light, her chestnut eyes glinted with genuine kindness as she held out her hands to Rowan and smiled.

He took Essar's fingers a bit more warmly than he had Remelle's—and the blond-haired lady's eyes slightly narrowed. Btu Remelle recovered swiftly, smiled prettily, and placed a proprietary hand on Rowan's shoulder as she said, "It's been an age, hasn't it? You never come to our parties, and Maeve keeps you all to herself." Rowan's face when blank. Cold. "There was a time," Remelle pouted, "when I got to keep you to myself. Sometimes I miss those days."

Rowan just flicked his eyes to the watching guards, who looked in need of a decent meal—and a break from their companions. "Stables are to the left."

Celaena was too busy glancing from Rowan to Remelle to see if the guards obeyed the prince's order. Lovers.

She didn't know why she'd thought that losing his mate meant he'd been celibate, but—but someone like Remelle—

Remembering she existed, Rowan extended an arm in her direction. Celaena honestly debated striding back into the fortress and leaving Rowan at their mercy, but found herself walking to him, closer and closer, until he could have tucked her into his side.

He actually seemed to relax a bit as he said, "This is—Elentiya." She hadn't thought of how he'd introduce her, but she was grateful for the anonymity he offered. "I'm training her at the queen's request. Elentiya, this is Lady Remelle, Lord Benson, and Lady Essar." He began rattling off house names and other nonsense, and Celaena gave a shallow nod that had Benson and Remelle pursing their lips.

Only Essar said hello, a sultry purr that made Celaena wonder why the hell Rowan hadn't taken her to his bed instead of the bright, cold smiles of Remelle.

"So you are a half-breed, then," Benson said, his eyes raking over her.

Rowan, to her surprise, bristled—but held in the growl she knew was rumbling in him.

Celaena smiled tightly. "My great-grandmother was Fae. So if that makes me demi-Fae, I don't know."

She caught the look Remelle gave Rowan: A mix of exasperation, as if to say, Really, Rowan? You brought a half-bred to meet us? How common of you.

But—Rowan hadn't asked her to appear in her Fae form. No, he'd left her to appear in any form she wished. The thought warmed her enough that she stepped a bit closer to him, near enough now to brush his arm with her own. Remelle didn't fail to notice that, either. What sort of visit was this, anyway?