The village of Bree

A disgusting place
A truly disgusting place.

This was Roswehn's first thought as soon as she arrived in Bree.
The grumpy guardian who was in charge of controlling the entrance to the city, had asked her endless questions, while he was observing her from a slit in the heavy wooden door.
"Who are you?"
"Where are you going?"
"Do you bring something?"
"Do you have to meet someone?"

Roswehn was about to turn her back and leave, when finally the man decided to open the big doorway.

"You understand that I have to verify everyone's identity , right? ... This village is already full of damn thieves ..." the guardian commented as he watched her from head to toe. "A lonely girl, dressed in elven robes, is something unusual here... what's your story, young lady?"

"Don't you think you have tormented me enough with questions?" she answered back, annoyed. "I told you that I have to go to the Shire, that I come from Rivendell, and that my stay here will be brief: please, show me that inn you told me about, I'm tired. Is there a stable in this place?"

Lord Elrond had allowed her to take one of his splendid steeeds, recommending to take care of it. And it will be better if you think of an excuse for having lost one of Thranduil's precious horses... you know, Elves raise animals with love, and to lose them is a disgrace, the Lord of Rivendell had warned her.

The guardian at the door told her: "A stable ... well yes, there is Arlon's over there. He will take good care of your beast." he added. "Go to the Prouncing Pony Tavern, if you want accommodation. Well, it's not a great place, but it's better than others."

Roswehn walked through the streets of Bree, and she noticed various humanity lost there. There were drunk old men sitting on the ground singing songs of the old days; there were soldiers from some unknown realm, perhaps deserters, roaming the village; there were merchants trying to sell their stuff; there were also a few Hobbits, who wandered around, all busy in some mysterious affairs.

Everything around her exuded degradation, misery, confusion.

Finally, Roswehn reached the dormitory that the guard had called a tavern. It was a kind of old inn, noisy and foul-smelling.
Immediately, the owner spat facts clearly.
"Let's go straight to the point: can you pay?" he asked. "I've enough of people coming here, sleeping, and sneaking out at dawn without giving me a penny!"

"I have some rough gold, I will pay you in grams; is that acceptable to you?" Roswehn retorted. "I have nothing else."

To be honest, she had a ruby  that was more precious than a king's crown, and a crystal jewel that was basically priceless, but she didn't mention them. In fact, she completely buttoned up her shirt to hide the Evenstar. She showed the bag full of golden dust to the innkeeper.

"Gold ?! Oh...you are very welcome, dear girl!" the host smiled. "Please, my Lady, take a sit at that table, my lovely daughter will bring you something."

Roswehn sat at a small table in the middle of the hall. A smiling, curly-haired girl arrived, bringing a plate of cheese and a large piece of dark bread. "Would you like wine or water?" she asked, and Roswehn asked for a jug of water. She was thirsty as hell.

"May I give you an advice?" the girl told her. "Do not stay here, sit next to the fireplace, it's a more private area. You can be easily noticed at this table, and it can be quite dangerous...if you know what I mean."

"I do not care, I've gone through far greater trouble, dear." Roswehn answered tiredly.

Looking around, she saw a man staring at her. She felt a little scared, despite the bravery she had displayed to the maid a few moments earlier.
The man had long hair, a wild beard and a mischievous and impious look. He looked like a thief, a delinquent ... he vaguely reminded her of Alfrid Lickspittle, that coward.