Smiles | Yomo Renji

Start from the beginning

    "Did I really?" He deadpanned as you laughed. 

    "You would have punched me in the gut three years ago if I pinched your cheek." You noted. It wasn't even an assumption, you did  pinch his cheek about three years ago and he did punch you in the gut after you did it. "Thank goodness I can take a Yomo Punch, eh?" 

    "Sorry about that." He shamefully muttered as you let out a guffaw. 

    "It's fine, it's fine!" You assured, pulling yourself up on the counter as you talked. "We also did some progress, concerning our friendship." You added. My feelings also progressed. You couldn't help but think as a small smile became visible on Renji's lips. You wished he smiled more often. 

    Seeing as he wasn't going to bother with words this time, you decided to speak up again. "By the way, your niece is going to start working here." 

    "Touka?" Yomo's eyes basically lit up at the mention. "What about Ayato?" Ouch, that pulled on your heartstring. 

    You hesitated for an instant, wondering whether you should tell him or not... 

    "(Y/N), what happened to Ayato?" Yomo asked sternly as he shifted over so he could be face to face with you. If the scenario was completely different, you might have acted on your feelings, considering how easy it would have been to hook your feet around his waist and pull him closer, but... 

    "He... Uh..." You started, trying to find a way to explain that his nephew basically ditched Touka. "He went with Aogiri instead." 

    With the way his shoulders fell, you knew you had a lot of comforting to do for the next week or two. 

    Touka grimaced at the way you and Renji seemed so close. "Will you two stop it?! We're working !" She exclaimed as Kaneki looked towards you two too. 

    "But Touka..." The raven haired student started. "They're not even remotely close to each other." You turned your head away from Ken to look at Yomo who was a meter or two away from you. 

    "Ken's right." You stated. Before Touka or Yomo could answer, you shifted to the side, wrapped your arm around the silver haired male's waist and pressed your cheek to his, looking at his niece who glared daggers at you. "Is this better, Touka?" 

    The teenager suppressed a shiver and looked away from the two of you while you laughed at her discomfort. "Come on, Touka, you'll have to get used to me!" You knew this might not be the best moment to try it, but hey. It was casual yet it will still be remembered, one way or another. This confession will be purely you and however it goes down, you were sure that you and Renji would laugh about it in the future. 

    "I don't need to get used to anything." She muttered back, giving you a semi-serious glare. You knew she couldn't hate you, considering you had once saved her uncle from a near-death experience. This was all friendly rivalry after all. You were fine with it. "Why would I need to get used to anything?" Bingo. Just what you wanted to hear. 

    "Because we're dating, of course!" You nonchalantly exclaimed. This was it. This was the moment of truth. This would determine your future. 

    "Since when?" Your crush asked. Although it wasn't the automatic acceptance you were low-key hoping for, Yomo didn't make a move to peel you off of him. This was... Okay. 

    "Since... Right now." You answered. "We can go out tonight after we close up Anteiku if you want." 

    "What?!" Touka exclaimed. "No! Ew!" Her reaction made you realize something. Would his niece's opinion on this change Yomo's answer? So far, you hadn't seen Yomo bend to anyone's will whatsoever, but this was his niece. The last bit of family he had. You should've considered that option while you were planning this out (had you ever even planned any of this? It felt more like something out of the blue).