"Praise the ancestors," we shout together in Xosha.

"Victory in ritual combat," Zuri says, "comes by yield or death. If any tribe wishes to put forth a warrior, I now offer a path to the throne."

"The Merchant Tribe will not challenge today," the Merchant elder states.

"The Border Tribe will not challenge today," the Border elder says, and beside him I recognize W'Kabi, who I may have seen Okoye kissing once or twice.

Next, is the elder of the River Tribe, Nakia's father. "The River Tribe will not challenge today."

"The Mining Tribe will not challenge today," assures the elder who spoke to me after my adoption ceremony.

"Is there any member of a royal blood who wishes to challenge for the throne?" Zuri asks.

To everyone's shock, Shuri raises her hand. Everyone breaks out in murmurs as Queen Mother looks at her daughter.

"This corset is really uncomfortable," Shuri states. "So could we all just wrap it up and go home?"

I try in vain not to laugh as Queen Mother pinches Shuri's arm. T'Challa, I notice, also surpresses a laugh as everyone sighs in relief.

It's then that we hear lots of grunting and chanting as a group emerges from the cliff side. They wear white paint, and one, a mask resembling a gorilla.

"Are they Jabari?" Shuri asks quietly.

"Yes," Queen Mother answers, sounding afraid.

They don't stop chanting until the masked one reaches T'Challa, taking the mask off.

"M'Baku, what are you doing here?" Zuri asks.

"It's challenge day," M'Baku answers. Raising his voice and facing everyone, he continues, "We have watched and listened from the mountains. We have watched with disgust as your Queen has adopted a pale-skinned foreigner and your technological advancements have been overseen by a child who scoffs at tradition!"

He points his staff at Shuri and I, and the Dora Milaje all aim their Spears at him as Queen Mother puts an arm out before us. T'Challa looks livid, stepping forward slightly.

"And now you want to hand this nation over to this prince who could not keep his own father safe," M'Baku continues, lowering his staff and turning back to T'Challa. "We will not have it. I said, we will not have it, oh! I, M'Baku, leader of the Jabari, ch-"

"I accept your challenge, M'Baku" T'Challa interrupts.

"Glory to Hanuman," M'Baku states.

The drumming starts up again as the two are fitted with the traditional masks representing their tribes.

The Jabari men and the Dora Milaje, minus Okoye, form a circle around T'Challa and M'Baku.

"Let the challenge begin!" Zuri announces.

A brutal fight begins. Each time a significant blow is landed, the circle tightens. As T'Challa's mask falls off, Shuri and I clutch at each other's hands as we huddle nearer to Queen Mother. Then, M'Baku is holding T'Challa up with his spear around his back, slamming his mask into T'Challa's face.

"No powers!" M'Baku is yelling. "No claws! No special suit, oh! Just a boy not fit to lead."

"Show him who you are!" Queen Mother shouts.

T'Challa slams back and cracks M'Baku's helmet, making the now bleeding man drop him. M'Baku stabs T'Challa's shoulder, then, and we collectively gasp.

"I am Prince T'Challa, son of King T'Chaka!" T'Challa yells.

"You can do this, T'Challa!" Shuri calls to him, but I can't find any words.

T'Challa manages to get M'Baku in a head lock with his legs at the edge of the cliff.

"Yield!" T'Challa yells at him. "Don't make me kill you!"

"I would rather die!" M'Baku tells him.

We begin chanting T'Challa's name.

"You have fought with honor," T'Challa tells M'Baku. "Now yield! Your people need you! Yield, man!"

Seconds before unconsciousness, M'Baku pats T'Challa's leg, signalling that he has yielded.

"Yes," Shuri cheers, and I hug her tightly.

Everyone takes up the cheers as T'Challa stands and raises a hand in victory.

"I now present to you, King T'Challa," Zuri shouts as he places a necklace of teeth around T'Challa's neck, hugging the man.

"Wakanda forever!" T'Challa calls, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Wakanda forever!" everyone repeats.