Perfectly Operational

Cool air falls from the freezer. "What's this one, please." Hailey points to an OmniFood branded entrée labelled with a neon yellow sticker.

"New from OmniFood." A calm, tenor warble emanates from the speaker behind a moulded plastic grid where Om's mouth should be: "Pepper soy steak with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and rosemary garnish! Suggested side add-on: sautéed swiss chard. *Must be prepared by OmniMove or OmniGo models."

"That sounds lovely." She takes two from the shelf, and places them into her OmniMove's basket. "Let's find those sides," she says softly. Om releases the freezer door and shadows Hailey down the aisle. She stops suddenly.

"The sides are further along, Ms. Hailey, in freezer C-14," Om offers, their single beady camera-lens eye pointed four lockers ahead. But she is distracted by a voice, a familiar cackle from the next row. Wearing a bold floral-print tunic, Mabel turns into their aisle and approaches them, waving wildly.

"Hailey! How are you darling!" Mabel's eyebrows bounce at the sight of Om. "Oh my!"

"Hello, Mabel," Hailey says, forcing a smile. They hug.

"How is everything?" Mabel stares intensely at her friend. Then glares at Om.

"This is Om," Hailey says, cooly. Om remains motionless.

"Is it... on?" Mabel waves a hand in front of their lens.

"They are perfectly operational."

"Oh Hailey! That's so... sweet."

"We get by."

"Well, you and your- " She lowers her chin, peering down at Hailey's stout OmniMove. " -help should join us on game night. I host cribbage on Thursdays. And it's so much easier with this one around the house," Mabel says, tapping her motorised scooter's head. "Anyhow, my Geri prepares everything, then cleans the mess so I can sit back and enjoy the game."

"Mm-hm? Well, I appreciate the invitation." Hailey nods and turns her body to the freezer shelves. Mabel catches her arm.

"Listen, hon," Mabel grips Hailey's bony elbow through her pale green viscose blouse. She and leans in closer and lowers her voice: "These things are only good for a few years. And you never know, a few years may be all you have left. I'll have the pamphlet sent to you." She steps away and loudly proclaims: "My son-in-law gets a great deal."

Mabel hops on to the cushioned seat of her robo-scooter and rides down the centre of the aisle. A bumper sticker reads: You've been graced by the presence of GeriForce 5000.

"Just ignore her, Om." Hailey, delicate and grey at 73, places two sautéed swiss chard sides into Om's basket. "If you ask me it's all a bunch of phooey. Loyalty, above all else. You've never let me down. Not once."

~~~

"27 minutes before food storage temperature loss. Would you like me to recommend transportation options?"

"Oh yes, please." Hailey replies.

"The travel time by bus is 19 minutes and takes a longer route. If we go through the park we will arrive at home in 14 minutes. However, upon arrival my batteries will be exhausted."

"Thank you, Om. Let's go through the park." Hailey sits on a small bench seat that folds out from under Om's armpit. They veer off the sidewalk and onto the grass, increasing speed slightly as Om adjusts the torque to their treaded caterpillar-track rollers.

"I am glad you decided on this method of transportation, Ms. Hailey. Today is a lovely day." A grackle swoops through the setting summer sun, an orange humid haze dotted with floating poplar seed fluffs.