"No, no celebrating." Polly looks at me in utter dismay. "We're mourning this news, actually."

"Mum-"

"Fuck off Michael," She spits. "This woman is wicked and evil, she doesn't have a family of her own, so she's leeching onto you for yours." Polly doesn't loose my eyes. "She sure doesn't give a fuck about the wedge she's putting into this family."

Hmmm, I think, what about the wedge you created when you abandoned your son. Or the wedge Tommy's put into your family? What the fuck am I doing that's so horrid? Accept me, and my love I have for your son. Christ woman. Accept us. Accept happiness.

"Well then you won't take this news well either mum," He continues, giving my hand a squeeze. "We're leaving the city, don't know where we're going but, I told Tom that I'm leaving the business. June and I, we don't want this life."

"Michael," Arthur exhales, shaking his head. He kind of shifts in his seat, uncomfortable with all of this.

"Arthur, it's a decision we made. It's final." Michael raises his hand, he words leave stains. And the room fills with a thick silence.

I look down. Perhaps I am putting a wedge in this family. But Michael, he seems happy. If you want this as bad as I want this, then fuck everything else.

"Well the ..." Thomas clears his throat. "I guess champagne is in order then-"

"No!" Polly shouts, scaring us all. "You're not taking my boy away!" She shouts, pointing right at me. "Not again, I won't let you!"

I shutter, watching as she approaches me before he comes close my body and steps before Polly. Protecting me from his mum, I can't wrap my head around any of this. He grabs his mother's arms and pushes her away from me. I don't allow myself the horrors of seeing this all unfold, my feet move without much consideration, I turn around and walk away. Tears threaten me, recalling her petrifying eyes.

I don't know if it's a test to see who he calls for, that woman or me, but chooses me. Michael calls for me, his voice paralyzingly me the way it did the first time we saw each other.

"Wait, wait," He jogs over to me and grabs my hand but I pull him away from me. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong," I scoff, wrapping my arms around myself. "Your mum. That's what's wrong."

"Tommy told me the doctors are giving her tablets. Ones that make her see things." He clears his throat. "She says she sees things-"

"Get her help." I tell him. "Get her off of the tablets. Because right now she thinks-" I stop myself from talking because in all fairness, I have no idea what she thinks.

"We tried," He licks his lips. "By we I mean Ada, but the point is. She'll be off them soon,"

"She doesn't want you to get married to me." I look down, feeling my throat close. "She thinks I'm this awful person who-"

"She thinks you're awful because you showed me real love, June. And I love my mum, but she abandoned me when you didn't."

I stare into his eyes. "She'll forbid us from getting married."

"So let her, nothing can get in way of us" He shakes his head. "This isn't what I wanted, but she'll come around..."

"No, no, no." I grab him by the coat he wears, running my fingers alone the fine linen. "Don't shut her out on an account of this..." What am I saying?

"What do you want me to do?" His voice is hoarse.

I lick my lips, biting down on my bottom lip. "Go make amends," I swallow my pride. "She's your mum, and I'm sure this is a cry for help. I think I want to get out of here..."

How shitty for this to happen. I was so happy an hour ago, and now my head and hurt hurts.

He purses his lips and gives me a frown. "Where are you going to be?"

"I am going to go to the place where my parents are buried." My voice denies me the courage, I sound small.

The truth is, I've never gone to their burial site. But I do remember going for the funeral, mum and dad were placed side by side despite the fact that they both had other members of their family scattered around the graveyard. They were still placed side by side. That was my first and last time, until now.

Warmth fills the sides of my cheeks and Michael looks down at me, touching me. "I'll meet you at your flat tonight?"

I nod. "Okay."

"Gather your bags, I'll gather mine too?"

Oh Michael. I squirm in excitement. Marriage. A new life. With the love of my life. "Okay." I grin.

"I love you." He inhales before pressing his forehead against mine. "I love you, June."

I rest my hands over his and shut my eyes. "I love you, Michael."