David died in the spot I was staring at, though, and it had become a daily reminder of what happened last year. Five Elixir students had come looking for their statue—Lucky Chuck—and David died. I couldn't remember all the details, but I knew it happened because he was trying to protect me. Josh Bevins threw him against the brick exterior and David's skull was crushed. His death lasted just long enough for him to say goodbye by telling me to live.

Had I?

"I'm usually a seven, Suzie."

I tore my gaze away from the side of the school to look at her, but she was already watching me, likely having deduced my train of thought. It didn't matter that Josh was sentenced for murder without my needing to testify; David died while holding my hand. Nothing short of bringing him back could make it better. Not punishment, an apology, or a stupid pep talk from my too-perky best friend.

"I want you to do something for me," Suzie said, speaking in a slow, monotonous voice.

"What's that?" Anything to get out of the car and away from this conversation.

"You have to agree before I tell you."

"No way!" I unclicked my seatbelt and took the keys from the ignition. "I'm all for being happy again, Suzie, but I'm not stupid. The only reason you'd ask me to do that is if you were about to ask me something you know I don't want to do. No deal."

"If I told you it's already been agreed to?"

My hand paused, and I lifted my head. She looked sheepish, and Suzie never, as in I'd-rather-be-seen-with-the-schools-biggest-Urkel, looked this way. She was too purposeful, remorseless. Everything she did was a product of decisions she believed in, no matter if it was only to her benefit. I glared at her and shifted, letting go of the seatbelt so it slid back on its own.

"What did you do, Suzie?"

"Well..."

"Suzie."

She darted her eyes away, watching the other students enter Royal Academy with too much interest for it to be real. "I'll tell you, but only if you promise not to get mad."

"What did you agree to?"

"Promise not to get mad," she repeated, slowly pronouncing each syllable as she spoke.

"How about I promise to get mad if you don't tell me?" I lifted my arm to check my watch. "Speak fast—school starts in ten minutes."

"Let's walk and talk then so I can avoid your jabs." She unbuckled her own seatbelt and grabbed the strap of her bag, hurrying to pull the handle to open her door so she could get out of the car and we could reconvene on the sidewalk.

"Spill it," I said when I reached her side, and pulled my bag up to my shoulder.

She started talking in a rush, her hands waving through the air. "So, you know how Brenan threw a party on Friday to celebrate being single, right?" Taking a deep breath, she raised her gaze to the cloudless sky, and lifted her finger. "And by the way, Rebecca totally cheated on him with Brian." She shuddered. "So gross."

She took another breath.

"So anyway, Brenan is single now, and because Deryk had to go to the party instead of just spending time with me—alone, I might add—I went to the party. It was fun, but you didn't miss anything by staying home. Oh, except Ryan threw up in Brenan's mom's roses. Man, is she going to be pissed—"

I pointed to the front door and started forward. "You have until we reach the main doors before getting to the point, or I stop listening," I said. "I don't care about the party."