The Past

Prologue:

I was at school when everything bad started happening to me.

My class was in the gym playing volleyball when the intercom came on, "Coach Smith, can you please send Abby Bales to the office, something important happened."

That was the last time I was ever truly happy.

"Ms. Bales do you understand what we're telling you?" The Principle asked but I wasn't paying attention. I couldn't believe what they had just told me.

"They" as in the Principle, teachers, counselor, and the two cops. "Ms. Bales?....Ms. Bales can you please say something?" One of the cops questioned me.

"They're gone forever...." I whispered to myself, tears forming on the edges of my eyes.

"What was that you said Abby?" Mrs. Lewis asked.

As the tears started to fall I shouted out,"They're gone forever, they're never coming back, they promised they would never leave me!!!" I couldn't control myself, I just kept on crying and screaming.

When one of the cops tried to reach out and calm me down I screamed at him and ran out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seven years have passed by since finding out about my parents. Sometimes when I close my eyes I can see them but only for a short while before I come back to reality....Since both my parents didn't have siblings I couldn't stay with, I was forced to go into the foster system.

My life throughout that period was horrible. I would be put into one house after the other, never finding the right family to foster me, that is until Mr. and Mrs. Richards took me in. When they brought me home that day, I knew things were going to be different from all of the previous families. Here with the Richards, they made me feel loved and accepted. After being with them for two months they legally adopted me and I became one of them.

On the day of my eleventh birthday, a tragedy would occur.

As Mrs. Richards drove away after dropping me off at school that day, she came to a red light, and sat in waiting. Before anyone knew what was happening, she had been hit from the side by a drunk driver. Her car had flipped from the impact and her car had crushed down on her, making it hard for her to get out. Before anyone could help her, the car caught on fire and within a few minutes, it blew up. People said that they could hear her screams and cries for help as she burned to death, and eventually go quiet when it blew up.

After that fateful day, Mr. Richards' whole personality changed. He no longer smiled, laughed, or gave me the love a child at my age needed. Instead he became the devil himself, and made all my previous foster parents seem like Angels. He made my life a living hell.