Finally I decide to get ready so I kick Paul out. The only thing he told me is that it could get cold. So I put on some black jeans, a loose white shirt, a regular Jean jacket that has that sweater material inside, I brush my hair out and put on my basic makeup, spray some body spray and put on one of my new pairs of earrings. Paul said to only bring my phone and that he has everything covered. So sticking my phone in my pocket I slip on some socks  and some brown leather boots before leaving my room to find my dad and Paul talking about who knows what, probably sports. When they finish we say bye to dad and head out.

As Paul starts driving I notice were heading away from town. "Where exactly are we headed?" "It's a surprise, you'll see when we get there." Groaning I lean back into my seat and watch the scenery. Paul responds by grabbing my hand and kissing the back. Eventually I get tired of the music on the radio so I grab his aux cord and start playing random songs on my phone. Both of us sing along like we normally do. After 40 minutes Paul pulls into a diner where we both grab a quick burger. When we get back to the car the sun is starting to go down,since it is winter and the days are shorter. Paul tells me it'll only be maybe another 30 minutes before we get there. I decide to play one if the games on my phone and before I know it Paul pulls into a parking lot surrounded by woods. The only thing I notice are a bunch of other cars but no people. "Where are we?" "Come on babe" I get out and follow him to the trunck of his car where he pulls out one of those lawn chairs made for 2 people, a blanket, and a bag. He hands me the blanket and tells me to follow him. Slowly we follow a trail to someplace I don't know. "You're not killing me are you?" Chuckling at my question, he pulls me close before saying, "No I'm not killing you, it's a surprise that I know you'll love." Eventually we reach the end of the trail and we're on a beach where a bunch of people are sitting on lawn chairs facing the water.

Paul leads us to and empty spot and set out the chair before motioning for me to sit with him and covers us with the blanket. "So what exactly are we doing here?" Throwing his arm over my shoulder and pulling me closer he motions towards the ocean. "Every year a bunch of people gather to light lanterns and set them off as a form of good luck, the ocean and the lanterns combined bring a calming setting and most people come here to start new beginnings." "So it's basically a small lantern festival." Paul reaches for his bag and pulls out two paper lanterns and a lighter. "That's exactly what it is." I look around and notice everyone lighting their lanterns. We both stand up Paul lighting the lanterns and handing me one. "When my mom was alive she'd bring me here and we'd make a promise to each other." Nodding in understanding, "Okay." "So I promise that no matter how bad a situation gets I promise to fight with you to not let anything break us." Looking around I notice people are starting to let go of their lanterns. "I promise to always be by your side no matter what tries to get between us." We both slowly rise our lanterns and let go. We stand there watching them go. I quietly say, "You were right." I can feel his eyes on me , "About what?" "That'd Id love it, and about the new beginning feeling." "It's not just a feeling." Confused I look at him to see him pulling a little drawstring pouch from his pocket and handing it to me. I slowly open it to see two rings.

I look back up at Paul

I look back up at Paul. "The first one was my mother's wedding ring, she said give it to a girl you know will cherish it. The second is a promise ring that I'm giving to you to show I intend to keep the promises we just made." I pull Paul in for a kiss after we pull away I say "I love it." Paul pulls me to sit with him so we can watch the lanterns, we sit in a comfortable silence, there's no words that need to be said. After a while Paul removes the rings I've been holding in my hand, not wanting to let them go, he put the promise ring on my ring finger and since his mother's ring is slightly bigger he fits it on my thumb perfectly. And we just sit in that perfect moment full of promises.