One Night On The Summer Train

Start from the beginning

“Alpha Bennington?” I asked in a low, respectful voice as I watched the small, shaped lips of this beautiful girl in front of me turn up in a smirk.

“My, boy!” He cheered happily. “I’m running late to pick up my niece, would you be ever so kind as to bring her to the Pack House for me?”

Then it clicked in my head. As I found myself lost in this girl’s eyes, a part of me inside clicked with her. It was like half of her lived in me for so long, but it was just now becoming a part of my whole being, and I didn’t eve realize how empty and incomplete I was before.

The Alpha’s niece was my mate.

“Of course, sir. I’d be happy to.”

After he said his thanks and goodbyes, I looked over to where I had left Thindal and Dustin, but they were no longer there. So I gripped two suitcases under one of my arms and watched as the girl picked up the other. She just followed me as I led her into the cover of the trees, her hair now soaked and slightly wavy.

“On the other side, I have my truck. We don’t have to walk.”

It seemed as if all her confidence from before was gone, and I assumed it was because she realize that, too, we were mates. She was finally whole. “I’m Cadence, by the way. Cadence Bennington.”

I laughed slightly, which made her look at me slightly surprised. “You’re the alpha’s niece… the one who’s supposed to be our new trainer?”

Cadence huffed lightly, throwing the other suitcase at me for me to carry it. I did without question, and looked at her, smiling, as she crossed her arms. “I’m stronger then I look, you know.”

“Uh, huh… if you’re going to be training me, then why aren’t you carrying these suitcases?” I teased. “Surely you’re stronger than me.”

“Call it a jumpstart on your weightlifting.”

“Uh, yeah. I mean, what the hell did you put in these? Cement bricks?”

She glared at me a little, but I could tell it was playful. “You’re going to be wishing I did make you lift cement bricks when I’m done with you.”

“Can’t wait.” I waggled my eyebrows at her, which made her blush. It was then that I realized just how lucky I was to get her as a mate. She was beautiful, she was funny, and she could take my teasing. She may have been a little quiet, but I’m sure I could get her to warm up to me.

“How much more weight do you think you can carry?” She asked out of the blue, slowing down to walk a little behind me.

I was a little confused, but wasn’t going to leave my mate without an answer. I kept walking, and was about to answer Cadence when she jumped on my back, wrapping her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist, clinging so she didn’t fall off. I barely stumbled, and kept walking, being careful with her more than her bags.

As one tumbled out of my arms, she didn’t get off my back, just pushed some of the wet strands of hair out of my face so I could see better, and yelled, “Hey! Careful with the bags!”

“Oh, sorry,” I said sarcastically. “I mean, with all the help you’re giving me, it’s hard not to drop a little bag or two.”

I heard Cadence sigh, and she spoke more quietly, as if she was suddenly drained. “Sorry, I’ll get off if you want.”

“No, no,” I told her quickly, and kept pace as I walked through the woods. “It’s okay, I was just teasing. Are you alright back there?”

“Just tired. I had to keep mind link open with my uncle the whole trip here.” She was now practically slumped against me. When entering new territory, you had to have a mind link open with at least the Alpha, which usually meant giving yourself to them, and could take long periods of time. All day, she was talking to him from possibly hundreds of miles away. That’s like being forced to slave to the Alpha, and the fact you don’t want to- as Alpha-bloods usually don’t want to listen to anyone- makes it harder.