Chapter 2 : A Trip Out Of The Manor

Her eyelashes fluttered as her eyes slowly focused to stare at the clean ceiling.

Xue Mei Li took a while before she could fully awaken, and she took even longer to realise that she was at her brother's Gathering Light Pavilion. It was rather dark outside but she could identify that it was becoming brighter so she had rested for a night in her brother's room.

She turned her small head to see that there was nobody in the room and slowly relaxed. Qi Er was probably asleep in her own room and there was nobody to serve her, but her throat felt rather raspy, making her want to cough.

Unable to hold it back, she let out a couple rough coughs, letting Xue Ming Li who was next door notice that she had awoken.

He made his way over to his room from his study and knocked lightly before coming in. Seeing her weak shadow that reflected from the rising sun, his heart pained as he strode over to pat her back and hand her a cup of warm water.

"Thank you, Elder Brother." She muttered quietly as she slowly drank the water in tiny sips. Her throat felt much more clear and refreshed, bringing comfort to her body.

"Mei Li, rest a bit more, Elder Brother will go out to buy you some treats and medicine, alright?" He whispered softly.

"Elder Brother needn't go. Mei Li has plenty medicine and can do without sweets. And... Elder Brother had just fell in the water yesterday so Mei Li would prefer it if Elder Brother stays at home with Mei Li to recuperate." She held onto his sleeve and tried to persuade him to stay, in case any misfortune befalls him.

"Mei Li. I will be fine so you don't need to worry." He smiled. "That's right, how about Mei Li comes with Elder Brother in case I fall into a river again?"

His teasing was replied with a slap across his head and Xue Mei Li turned to look out the window. She had been feeling quite complicated as her brother had changed a lot. It doesn't seem to be her imagination or paranoia.

Instead of going out to hook up girls, he wants to go out to get things to look after her. He even offers for her to come along.

Before the siblings had been quite distant. Xue Mei Li had watched over him and reprimanded him on several occasions which had made Xue Ming Li have a hint of hatred towards this nagging sister of his. Xue Ming Li had always wanted to be free and unrestrained, always causing trouble for the house.

The current Xue Ming Li seems to be quite close and caring towards her. It seems unreal, like a dream. She always had wanted to be close to Xue Ming Li and hear about his daily life that is full of life and joy. She was even envious of his freedom.

"Does Elder Brother mean it?" She asked, her eyes clearly shining brightly.

"Of course. But if we go out, Mei Li has to listen to brother at all times and wear a veil."

"A veil? Why?" She asked curiously. Was it a trend that was happening right now?

"Because, Elder Brother doesn't want you to attract random, lowly men with your good looks." He stated righteously, making Xue Mei Li giggle lightly.

Qi Er was then summoned by Xue Ming Li's personal servant, Ding He and she dressed her mistress into a low-key and elegant attire. Not forgetting the veil, Xue Mei Li walked out of her Flower Lake Pavilion to meet up with Xue Ming Li.

He was dressed in white, bringing out a pure and holy aura from his body, unlike his usual frivolous red clothing. His well-built body could be easily seen and although he dressed simply, he still looked handsome.

Xue Mei Li, however, was dressed in a baby pink dress with water lilies sprouting from the hem. Her hair was pulled up simply with ribbons and the veil in her face did not cover her beauty.

When the pair stood together, people could clearly see the resemblance of brother and sister.

They climbed onto the carriage and headed out into the bustling city. People were shouting and chattering cheerfully and the stores displayed their most beautiful merchandise.

Xue Mei Li had never seen such a sight and was extremely excited that she even almost forgot about her illness.

Xue Ming Li smiled at his jumpy little sister and held her back into the carriage once he saw her almost dangling out of the window.

"Mei Li. You are still ill. Behave and sit down to rest." His deep voice resounded, pulling Xue Mei Li back from her wonderland. She sat down obediently but still darted her eyes around the roads.

"Say, say! Where are we headed to?" She asked, her voice louder than usual.

"To a well-renowned tea house. Mei Li likes drinking tea, right?" He replied in a light tone.

"Hmm. I am very picky in my tea. I only drink the others because it is good for my body."

"Then Mei Li can pick whatever tea you want to get, Elder Brother will treat you and bring you to meet some friends." He patted her head and looked at her bright smile.

As Xue Mei Li was distracted, Xue Ming Li's eyes flashed. His 'friends' were simply a group of people that he visited yesterday night to make a couple of transactions with. Once they knew that they were no match for the eldest young master of the left prime minister's household, they immediately shook hands and invited him for tea to talk over their deal.

The reason why he had brought Xue Mei Li along was to distract one of his 'friends' that he did not particularly like. That 'friend' was like the past 'him'. Only full of lust and desire for material objects and beautiful women, and was coincidentally pulled in due to walking into his friend's brother's room and threatening them to let him have some benefits. His partners were also not very happy.

If he touches his darling little sister then he could find an excuse to chop off that unreliable man's head.

As the carriage came to a stop, Xue Ming Li pulled back his sinister face and put on his gentle smile as he led Xue Mei Li into the popular tea house.

It was called 'Spirit Scent' and many nobles came for a little tea party.

As they walked in, many eyes came to stare at the heavenly siblings.