Once hellos and casual greetings had been exchanged between the boys and the host, a clip of their debut video was played on the screen. Even though it had only been a year since it was released, Harry looked completely different. He’d matured drastically, and his face and general physique had taken on a much manlier structure. Nevertheless, he’d always been attractive and I was surprised that I hadn’t paid more attention to him before we’d met.

“So guys, how’s the album going?”

The presenter leant forwards with his cue card and smiled.

“Great thanks,” Zayn began. “We’re really pleased with how it’s turned out.”

Louis nodded and grinned. “Yeah. It’s a completely different sound to the last and I think everyone’s going to be quite surprised.”

I couldn’t help but wonder how rehearsed each of their answers were. I was very aware of the media world and how certain people were trained to suit their target audience, and I was certain that One Direction had been trained finely. 

“So when can we expect to hear it?”

“I think it’s coming out towards the end of the year.”

Harry’s words were well-articulated as he spoke. I could hear each careful syllable slip from his tongue, and I found it a huge turn-on that he was so well-spoken.

“We’re very excited for everybody to hear it.”

He flashed a grin as he finished and I felt like an idiot as I smiled in an empty room… at the TV. But I’d seen that grin so many times before and I could tell that it was genuine.

The presenter asked a selection of questions so generic that even I was certain that I could have answered them. They’d been on for fifteen minutes and I guessed that the interview was about to come to an end.

“And the question on everybody’s lips…”

The interviewer smirked and I knew exactly what was coming. My heart began to race and I could feel my palms dampening with moisture as I anticipated his words with baited breath.

“Which ones of you are single?”

Oh God. Harry and I hadn’t discussed this since he told me that he’d been asked this in Sweden and I was completely and utterly clueless as to how he was going to handle it. I wanted him to be mine. In my own mind, he was. Or at least, I hoped that he was mine and not anybody else’s. But my mind was a completely different place to the world outside. Letting the public in opened us up to scorn and scrutiny.

The first three boys nodded and smiled as the presenter went around the group, explaining that they were all in long-term relationships and very much loved up. As the cameras fell on to Harry, my heart stopped. There was a glimmer in his eyes and a soft kink to his mouth ends, and it was at that moment that I knew that he’d made the decision.

“I’m seeing somebody, yes,” he smiled.

My pulse accelerated to an incredible speed.

“You kept that one quiet! Is it serious?”

He leant forwards to the table and took a sip of his water. “I like her a lot.”

My heart broke out into a thousand fluttering pieces. I couldn’t quite work out if I was thrilled or completely terrified. Probably both.

“You do realise that you’ve just broken thousands of hearts?”

“We love all of our fans, single or not,” he smiled, spinning a line that was obvious he’d been trained to say.