“No no, I’m fine thank you” I replied coolly, even though I was almost out of coffee.

Harry returned a few minutes later with a tray with two steaming mugs on and a plate of cake.

I frowned up at him, but he interrupted before I could say anything.

“Well you were pretty much out of coffee and I wanted cake and refuse to eat it by myself. Have you seen how big it is?”

I laughed as he placed the tray on the table. He was right- it was probably the biggest slice of chocolate cake that I’d seen in my life, covered in a rich brown butter icing with chocolate flakes on top. It looked like a heart-attack on a plate.

“Thank you very much” I smiled, pushing my empty mug to the side and taking the fresh cup from the tray. “You didn’t have to.”

He smiled warmly. “No I didn’t, but I wanted to.”

The hot pink blush that I’d be resisting rose to my cheeks, burning the skin as I looked up at him from beneath my lashes; overcome with a mixture of flattery and embarrassment that I’d let his words affect me so easily. No wonder so many women had fallen victim to his charm.

Thirty minutes or so passed and we’d cleared our mugs and the plate, filling out the time in between bites and sips with random and mindless conversation.

“I guess I’d better be off” I smiled, gathering my book and phone from the table and sliding them into my bag. “Thank you for the drinks and cake. Like I said, you didn’t have to.”

Harry stood up from his chair as I pushed mine out, smiling back at me. “And like I said, I wanted to.”

We both exchanged shocked glances as a hard rain suddenly began to lash violently against the window. I walked towards the door and pulled it open slightly, peering out on to the wet grey pavement as water began to spill over the drains. Rain spluttered against my face as I stood there, trying to work out the quickest route to the bus stop.

“Of all the days for me to forget my umbrella” I mumbled, shaking my head in disbelief.

Harry appeared at my side. “Well you can’t go out in this” he laughed. “You’ll drown!”

“And how else do you suppose that I get home?”

He thought for a moment, twisting his mouth from side to side. “My house is literally 5 minutes down the road. Why don’t you stay at mine until this has passed? It’ll probably only be a quick shower.”

I looked up at him, completely taken aback by his suggestion.

“I couldn’t do that. I’ll be fine, I’m sure.”

He looked down at me. “No. I insist…” He took a sudden pause and furrowed his brow. “Wait. I didn’t even get your name.”

So he hadn’t.

“Emilia.”

He smiled thoughtfully. “Well Emilia, I insist that you stay at mine until this passes. No arguments. The end. Done.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at his stubborn persistence, and I caught him smirking in the corner of my eye as I sighed in defeat. I wasn’t exactly used to accepting kind favours from strangers, even if they were in pretty much every magazine and newspaper in the world right now.

“Okay, on three.”

“What are you doing?” I laughed.

“I’m giving us a countdown. I need to prepare.”