"It's because if anything, there to valuable to lose you nitwit! Remember when we used messenger boys? Oh that was a disaster," he began to rant. "boys running around blabbing their messages to the wrong sort, fights breaking out every other day over who took what message or packet, who did more messages than who," he shook his head. "If anything you are more expendable! Now go join the ranks before I call my sister to get you!" He threatened. In the crowd a women held up her pitch fork and shook it.

"You better not be causing trouble Goffer!" A shrill voice piped up. Goffer turned tail oppisite of the voice and hurried into the crowd. Sage giggled.

"Now get going you! You need to hurry as well!" Uncle Jones said turning to Sage, but she had already left for the back door, to warn her fellow messengers.

Later that night, Sage found herself spying on the fight, despite her uncle's wishes.

It was chaos.

The Giants were clearly out numbered, but they had the power to keep the humans at bay, even with the herb most of the human fighters had taken. Lightning flashed illuminatatimg the iron breastplates, and steel plated shields the giants carried. Compared to the handcrafted weapons of the humans,... well it was sorry indeed.

Amidst the thunder and rain, a great bolt of lightning struck, and set fire to the the weaving mill.

"Oh no." A feeling of horror filled Sage as she watched the straw roof of the building, burn up like dry sheep's wool. She ran out from her hiding spot to the well, other girls she recognized as Messengers came running to the well from different corners of the market.

"Emma?"

"Sage?"

"Yes we're all here and we all know each other!" A girl named Ruth snapped sarcastically. "So let's stop gawking and start pulling up water!"

"Your right let's go!" Sage agreed. They lowered the buckets hastily and ran at the fire. Most of the fighting had stopped, Giants and humans were both actively trying to take out the fire, a few humans had started moving the horses from the nearby stall away just in case.

Sage tossed the water onto the fire and started running to get some more when she heard a scream from Dawn. She looked to see Dawn pointing up at the top window of the building. An old woman waved her hands and cried for help, but not many people could see her through the smoke and darkness of the night.

An idea popped in Sage's head. It was risky but it was the only thing she could think of, she turned around and ran to the nearest giant. He was using a large cloak to smother the spreading flames, and didn't see Sage run up to him.

"Sir, please I need your help!" The giant took a step back and searched for the voice, nearly stepping on Sage in the process. "Sir please!" The giant looked down in suprise. Having finnally gained the his attention, she pointed her finger to the top most window of the burning building. The giant nodded and followed her over to lift the women out. Carrying her to the well he placed her in the care of a group of humans.

Sage gave a sigh of relief and turned to get more water. At that moment, a flaming wooden support beam cracked, and leaned slowly towards Sage, who had her back turned.

"Watch out!" Someone bellowed. Her wrist shone brightly at the words, blinding Sage with the sudden light.

"What in the—?" Her feet left the ground, her torso was enclosed in something warm and firm. Sage looked up to see the face of the giant who she had gone to for help. "Hey, Put me down! I can walk on my own thank you very much!"

But he kept running, running to the other side of the battle where the giants took a temporary base. He was taking her prisoner.

"No! Wait! Let me go!" She thrashed around wildly trying to get him to drop her.

"Stop that." He said in a frustrated tone as he lowered her to the ground. As soon as her feet touched the stone, she tried to dart off, but his fingers held her by the arm.

"Will you please stop that?" He asked as Sage beat his hand with her free arm. When Sage wouldn't stop he gave a small sigh and lifted her to his knee. Taking the glove off on his free hand with his teeth, he shoved his hand into her view.

Sage had turned her head away, assuming he was about to crush her, but after a few moments when she realized she wasn't dead yet, she looked. His wrist caught the light from a flash of lightning and allowed her to read the words "Sir, please I need your help."

They were gold.

He took the arm he had pinned between his fingers and held up her wrist. It was also gold and read "Watch out."

"No..." Sage gasped. Something dropped in her stomach. Something that burned and twisted on the inside. "It can not..."

"Yes it is, we're bound, you and I." He had set her down again hoping some space would help her process it all.

Sage took a few shocked steps back. "No, what would, my uncle—, my mother—!" Sage shook her head, and turned on her heel to dash away.

"Wait!" The giants voice boomed behind her, causing a pen of startled horses to brake free. They began to stampede, galloping in Sage's direction.

Caught in the middle of the herd, she tried to fight her way out, but something hit her head, and she slumped to the ground.

______________________________________________

Trives: Danish for prosper

Hope you enjoyed!

Fun fact: In World War one and two, they used girl guides as spys and they did a lot better than their male counterparts. I've always found that interesting and funny, a bit of the story is based on that.

Feel free to drop a writing prompt anytime!

Completion Of Tumblr Rambles जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें