05 | sticky maple

five
sticky maple.

JASON'S AUTOPSY REVEALED that Jason didn't die on the Fourth of July

JASON'S AUTOPSY REVEALED that Jason didn't die on the Fourth of July. Of course, Josie knew that Jason was alive that day, because she had seen him. But she didn't expect that the autopsy would find that he died a week later.

As soon as the results came back, Sheriff Keller showed up at the school and took Cheryl in for questioning, because her story didn't line up. She had lied, because Jason wanted to fake his death. This was yet another thing Josie knew, but she still isn't sure why.

She's still thinking about this as her, Kevin, Betty, Veronica, and Archie sit in the student lounge the next day, sipping coffees. Veronica then raises an eyebrow at Kevin. "So, are you a suspect now?"

"My dad says we all are, including me," Kevin says excitedly, almost like he's happy he's a suspect in a murder investigation.

"Not me, girl," Veronica points out a-matter-of-fairly. "I don't know these people."

"Guys, should we maybe re-binge Making a Murderer on Netflix tonight?" Kevin suggests, and as much as Josie would like to, she knows she can't. She has to be at the Academy of Unseen Arts tonight.

"Can't," Betty quickly passes. "I have to stay up late to write a paper."

Kevin then looks at Josie, who quickly comes up with a lie. "Uh- I have plans."

"With who?" Kevin demands, narrowing his eyes at her skeptically.

"My brother," Josie shrugs, knowing this part isn't a lie. She has two classes with Nick, so this part is really just her bending the truth a little bit.

"Well, count me out, too," Veronica declares excitedly. "I've got a date tonight."

As soon as the words leave her lips, Josie's head snaps up towards Veronica in confusion and utter jealously. "You do?"

Kevin looks just as disappointed as Josie, but unlike her, he's curious about who the date's with. "Which Riverdale hottie made the cut?"

Veronica purses her lips as one of the only assholes at this school that Josie absolutely hates-Chuck Clayton prances over with some of her football players, all wearing their signature smirks. "Hey, Vee-Lo. I'll swing by the Pembrooke to pick you up at 8:00?"

"I'll be waiting."

"Cool," Chuck winks at her before him and the other the football players walk out of the room. Josie grimaces, a bitter taste forming in her mouth at the thought of Chuck touching Veronica even slightly. "Chuck Clayton?"

"You're going on a date with Chuck?" Kevin deadpans enthusiastically. "He's the hottest of hot, and he's the varsity football coach's son. In Riverdale, that's like dating a Kennedy. But he's kind of a player."