Chapter 2

Bobby Pickett's Monster Mash pulsated from the club's sound system over the excited cheers emanating from the villains that watched the bound members of Mystery Incorporated being hauled/dragged into the Faux Ghost. Velma whimpered fearfully in the arms of Carswell as he carried her bridal-style through the club's entrance. "I haven't forgotten about that kick in the shin you gave me, you little runt," he snarled to her. And then he silently savored the shudder of dread that quaked through her anatomy as she recalled said moment of that particular mystery.

In the massive biceps of former stuntman Carl Bittern - "The Ape Man" who'd sabotaged the production of a movie out of resentment for not being given the role of the male lead - Fred violently struggled against his hold, hurling muffled expletives towards him under his gag. "What's that, pretty boy? I can't understand a thing you're saying," Carl taunted.

"Ya dag-gone mutt! Quit yer whining!" Hank shouted at Scooby, his decrepit arms fighting to keep the scared Great Dane in his hold. It would've been so much easier if he was one of those pekingese pups, Hank thought miserably.

Daphne wriggled over the pudgy shoulder of Klaus Greenway - "The Snow Ghost" who'd frightened away guests from his smuggling operation of diamonds and jewels while employed as the manager at Wolf's End Lodge - as she exchanged looks of terror with Shaggy, who was being carried in next. "So light, my dear. Still haven't taken to regular meals since Wolf's End, eh?" Greenway coldly mocked before emitting a chilling guffaw.

As he was dragged into the Faux Ghost like a bag of garbage by Stuart Wetherby - "The Ghost of Elias Kingston" - Shaggy's eyes fearfully scanned the interior of the club and fell upon the murderous glares and sneers of the many perpetrators that had been jailed by he and his friends. At the pool table Captain Cutler and Harry the Hypnotist - "The Clown Ghost" - abandoned their game of pool the moment the group's presence had been presented. Former lawyers Cosgood Creeps and Cuthbert Crawls - "The Phantom Shadows" who'd avariciously sought the fortune of Colonel Beauregard Sanders and attempted to frighten away all potential inheritors from his estate - sat their drinks down at the bar and sauntered over to the rest of their fellow villains. Five dartboards with a picture of each member of Mystery Incorporated taped to them were riddled with several darts flung by Henry Bascombe - "The Spooky Space Kook" - and Mama Mione - "Old Iron Face".

Like so many others, they ceased their current activity to join the crowding ring sending cheers towards their prey. There were so many more, too many to count, Shaggy realized. They were at the mercy of every contribution to their string of success...

Wickles led the carriers through the massive throng of dastardly-doers. "Move aside! Move aside!"

Like the Red Sea, the crowd parted as the teens were carried to the center of the club and then heartlessly flung one by one under the establishment's wide skylight. Daphne curled up in fear at Shaggy's side while Scooby whimpered at her feet. Fred glared his defiance up at the smirking Wickles. Velma's glasses had fallen from her face upon her rough impact with the floor and skittered across the floor before the feet of Dr. Najib - "The Mummy of Ankha".

The Middle Eastern man raised his foot and stomped upon Velma's glasses, shattering the lenses with sadistic glee. "Oh, dear...I do hope those weren't prescription glasses." He and several surrounding villains howled with laughter that resonated through the five sleuths.

Wickles then spun around and addressed the audience. "Ladies and gentlemen, a great round of applause for our honored guests: The ill-fated Mystery Incorporated!"

Monster Mash was barely able to be heard over the thundering screams that Wickles invoked.

"Let's see if they have any final words," he purred as he approached the subdued group and removed Daphne's gag. "Ladies first."

"Why are you doing this?" she automatically shouted. "Let us go!"

The second part of her demand he (predictably) would ignore. "Surely you aren't that mentally inept, child. It's a simple word called revenge."

"Revenge for ruining your schemes?" she shrilly replied. "You think you'd learn from your past mistakes and try to lead normallives!"

Shaggy wanted to reprimand Daphne for mouthing off to a mob of bad guys, and the hysterical look in his eyes portrayed his apprehension quite vividly.

At her comment, the villains as a whole went quiet, Monster Mash now easily heard, but its cheerful tune conflicting with the explicit bitterness seeping into the atmosphere.

"Leading normal lives is no longer an option - for any of us!" he roared. "Thanks to you meddlesome brats unmasking us! But tonight..." He chuckled madly. "...we even the score."