Chapter 2: Coffee Shop Where the Riddles Assemble

Start from the beginning

However, if they were to meet offline, she wondered if he would be as frivolous sounding as he was in the messages.

And if Mr. Polar Star were to meet 'Saffron' in real life, what sort of thoughts would he have...?

She scratched her nose, feeling tense.

It was too scary!

She intended to reject this invitation as politely as possible, saying,

—If you are able to continue thinking about me before summer vacation, and if you can find me before summer vacation ends, I do not mind meeting you. I will also listen attentively to 'what you wish to say to me'.

And Mr. Polar Star in turn replied,

—Hm, I understand. It is a promise then. It will begin from the first Wednesday of summer vacation till the end of it. As for the location, let us set it at the shop which sells the red tea you like. I will be wearing a refreshing blue and white cap that reflects the summer sky, and until summer arrives, I will continue to yearn and think about it. In that case, no matter whether you are deep within the lush forests or the spacious grasslands, I will definitely find the amazing flower that is you.

He continued with his boastful words, but it was a sweet reply to 'Saffron'.

She was feeling exhilarated, and if she said something bad, to hide her true thoughts before summer vacation arrived, Mr. Polar Star probably would not wish to look for 'Saffron'.

On the other hand, even if Mr. Polar Star continued to think of 'Saffron' till the start of summer vacation, there was no way he could find her even if she showed up at the appointed place.

Definitely!

But there was no need to worry as such. Ever since Golden Week ended, Mr. Polar Star had ceased to exchange messages with her, and he never left any comments on the blog.

It was unknown what happened to him, but if he were someone who could read the mood, he would certainly understand the intention, that 'Saffron' did not wish to meet him, and would lose interest in her.

But either way, it was too early for him to back off.

Would it not be better to continue clinging onto her?

She could not deny that she had such thoughts, but she really was delighted that he gave up on her halfway through.

Even if she were to appear at the shop during summer vacation as promised, there was no way Mr. Polar Bear would appear at the shop again.

That was fine.

"But why did I end up coming to this shop anyway?"

The red tea shop 'Bonne Chance' was plain and cute, ostensibly a reconstruction of a fairy tale brought to life. 'Saffron' stood at the door dejectedly.

The rife summer sun shone upon her from above with ferocity.

"Mr. Polar Star definitely forgot about the promise. Better go back early."

But, what if—

If Mr. Polar Star did abide by the promise.

If he were to wear a refreshing blue and white cap, and appear in front of 'Saffron'.

The tip of her nose started to itch.

"I-I think...I'll have a look just for today."

Right. Neither Mr Polar Bear or anyone else would know that she was 'Saffron'.

(I'll wait...just for today.)

Only for today.

It was rare that she came by.