Chapter 57: I'll Always Love You

Start from the beginning

Faintly downstairs I heard a girl say, "Go ahead. Answer it! I wonder if it's the bitch you've been sleeping with!"

"There's nobody else," he said back. "Well that's not what Amber's been telling me." Oliver scoffed. "Trinity she don't even like you. Why would she tell you the truth?"

Before she could give her rebuttal the knocking got louder. "Well. Aren't you gonna answer it?" She said mockingly. Oliver huffed and gave in. "Fine. Are you happy now."

I heard the door open and someone say abruptly, "Where's Alyssa?"

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Who the fuck is down there asking for me?"

"Alyssa! Alyssa! You up here?"

"Is that Kevin? What the hell could he be doing here," I wondered.

I got out of bed and walked over to the bedroom door.  I opened it and saw Kevin walking towards me. I leaned up against the doorway. "Kevin," I yawned, "What are you doing here?"

"Alyssa," Kevin said looking me over, "I need to talk to you." I was wearing my bra and panties and Kevin couldn't seem to keep his eyes off of me. "Kevin what's going on?" I said redirecting his attention away from my body. "Can you put some clothes on? I can't talk to you like that," he said pointing at me. I scrunched up my face. "Okay," I said turning around to go back into the bedroom. I went over to the dresser and pulled out one of Oliver's t-shirts. I threw it on and turned to face Kevin. "Better," I huffed as a threw open my arms. "I guess it's gonna have to do," he said walking further into the room. I sat down on the bed and tucked one leg underneath me. "So what's up? What's so heavy on your mind that it got you here at nine in the morning?"

"Well. You know how we agreed to get a divorce a few weeks ago?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah."

"Well I got a lawyer."

"Well, good for you---I think. Um...I don't actually know what's the appropriate thing to say in this situation." I think I saw Kevin smile, but I wasn't sure, because it came and went so quickly.

Kevin shoved his hands in his pocket. "So, I just found out that we can't get divorced."

"Why?"

"Because as it turns out we aren't actually married." My mouth hung open. "What the fuck? How is that possible?"

"Believe me. I had the same reaction. Turns out the judge who married us wasn't actually certified to do so."

"How's that?"

"He wasn't a real judge. The courthouse didn't even have him in the system."

I threw myself back onto the bed. "Oh wow. We got screwed over big time." I sat back up and crammed my hands into my lap. I looked up at Kevin. "So. What now?"

"Well, we're not married so I can't divorce you anymore, but I, um," Kevin said swiping his nose, "still think we should break up. I think that it's the best thing for us." Kevin moved closer to me and grabbed my wrist. He dug in his pocket and placed his apartment key in my hand. "I really came over here to explain the situation to you and to say goodbye. I hope you're happy with Oliver and that he treats you well." Tears were beginning to well in my eyes. I quickly wiped them away. "I'll always love you Lys," Kevin said fighting back tears, "you know that." I dabbed under my eyes. "Yeah," I sniveled. Kevin leaned down and kissed me on the cheek. "See you later beautiful," he said as he turned to walk away.

When Kevin returned downstairs I could hear Trinity still arguing with Oliver. "So apparently the bitch is here, because he's just coming back downstairs after like ten minutes."