In the East of Nothing

En başından başla

"Welcome to Black Fire Headquarters." Letholdus smiled at the sight below him. He and Adonis walk along the stairs to the place below. Cedany stared in awe at the sights before her. Men and women alike were amongst each other, women in pants and men doing as they pleased. However, in common they all wore a patch of black fabric on their right shoulders. Many of them wore expressionless expressions, some had gloomy faces while a handful were smiling and trying to cheer the others up or at least make them smile.

"Oi! Letholdus, wha' did ya find in them woods?" A man hollered from beside a small pathetic looking fire. Cedany had walked behind Letholdus silently and began grooming the horse.

"Nothing today Tom." Letholdus said to the man. He shook his head and grasped the man's hand.

"What am I gonna eat?" He asked Letholdus sadly. The man was no more than skin and bone. His bearded face hid the sad expression playing on his lips but the man's hazel eyes displayed more than just the hunger the wracked through him.

"Tom, I will share-" Letholdus started to say.

"No!" The man cried and tears slid down his face, "I will not take your charity and you need the food more than I." He turned his skinny body away from Letholdus and sobbed. Letholdus looked away defeated.

"Excuse me Tom, take this." Cedany had reached into the Adonis' saddlebag, pulled out an apple, and handed it to the man. He looked at Cedany with wide eyes and smiled at her.

"Thank you missy!" He pulled her hands into his, "You are a sweet girl. Many would do nothing to help me. You are an angel. Missy, what is your name?"

Cedany looked at Letholdus for guidance. He nodded his head so she knew he was okay. "My name is Cedany Arabetta Strongstone." She curtsied and the old man chuckled.

"A kind heart with a pretty face." He chuckled before kissing her hand. "We need more people like you." Cedany couldn't hold back her smile and hugged the man. He chuckled again before walking away from her, the apple clutched in his gnarled claw.

"How did you get Tom to give you his apple?" Letholdus gaped. He had been struggling for weeks to offer the man his food and Cedany had only just gotten there. Soon he heard the talking come closer to him and saw Cedany in the circle of Founders.

Finn Tackton stood near her, offering her his arm and being a kinder man than he was. His topaz eyes glinting with pride as he stared directly at Cedany. Cedany did not notice him Elwin was speaking to her.

"What is your name?" Elwin asked twirling his white mustache. His belt heavy with throwing knives and daggers. His black eyes staring into Cedany's emeralds. She showed no fear looking into the scary man's eyes. He towered over her like a giant and with all the scars on his face; he would have made a person quiver in their beds.

Cedany planted her hands on her hips and stared into the eyes of the fighter. Her face expressionless and still. She barely moved her lips but the whole cave was silent.

"Cedany Strongstone." The words rung through the air like the sound of pounding metal in a smith shop.

Elwin stared at her before cracking into a slight smile, something he rarely did. Then he laughed and the deep rumble echoed the cavern. Everyone stood awestruck.

"I like this girl. I like your spark miss Strongstone." He patted her own the back and began to walk with her to his tent. Cedany looked over her shoulder and stared at Letholdus, fear set in her eyes as she walked further and further away.

Letholdus quickly followed bringing the horse with them. The stallion neighed and bumped his head against Letholdus' arm. Letholdus walked silently. His heart beating as if he had taken some sort of drug.