Part VI: Fight or Flight

Start from the beginning

B/G: faint noise of a movie

HANNAH:             (V.O.) Dear D, when will I learn? If you play with fire you gonna get burnt. I nearly forgot – men are animals. They can’t help getting aroused and feeling attracted to me. Therefore, I should give them as little reason for it as possible. In that light, I can’t possibly forgive myself for my choice of a movie. It was one of my favourites: a German film about a couple who separately meet the same man and both the husband and the wife fall in love with him. It was an unusual topic that I had become fascinated with. My favourite line from the film is: ‘Du musst dich verabschieden … von deinem deterministischen Biologieverständnis’ (You have to say goodbye to your deterministic understanding of biology). As controversial as the movie was, it was primarily a love story and a pretty visual one at that. It was not something you show to your platonic male friends.

SFX: sound of movie in b/g get a bit louder

AIDAN:                 You like this thing.

HANNAH:             A lot.

AIDAN:                 You're a sick woman, you know. (MOVES SUDDENLY AND KISSES HANNAH)

MAKING OUT AND BREATHING HEAVILY.

B/G: romantic, victory music as part of the movie

SFX: suddenly music and making out stops.

AIDAN:                 I'm sorry but we can't.

HANNAH:             Yes.You are right.

AIDAN STANDS UP PRECIPITOUSLY

AIDAN:                 Good night.

HANNAH:             (FORCED CHEERFULNESS) Night!

AIDAN LEAVING AND CLOSING THE DOOR

HANNAH:             (TO HERSELF) Things are getting seriously out of hand even by my standards.

FADE

SCENE 29: EXT. LATE AFTERNOON.

SFX: Heavy rain; pat of feet on wet concrete. Car door opening. People getting in.

AIDAN:                 Hi, girls! Hey, Hannah! So, how was the movie?

ALICE:                  They killed the zebra.

MARIE:                 No, Alice, he sacrificed himself to save all the others. But, technically, they still killed him.

AIDAN:                 (TO HANNAH) No happy ending, then?

HANNAH:             Not as such, no. But still, I think it was a beautiful film.

MARIE:                 Me too.

AIDAN:                 Now, girls, I’ll take you home and I need you to go to bed quickly, because it’s already late. Hannah, I can drive you home afterwards, if you want.

HANNAH:             Considering the lovely weather today…

SFX: thunder striking somewhere near

HANNAH:             Thank you.

FADE

SCENE 30: EXT. INSIDE AIDAN’S CAR.

SFX: car on the road. breaks. car stopping.