Chapter Five: "What's a Slughorn?"

Start from the beginning

"How was your summer?" She asked.

"Awesome! Those puking pastels you gave me really got me out of a couple pinches," he answered with a smile.

"Glad to hear it."

"Oh, this is for you," Derek said, handing her a small envelope.

"Thank you," she asked with furrowed brows.

Derek left and shut the compartment door behind him.

"What's that?" Carter asked

"Not sure... What's a Slughorn?"

☆☆☆☆

When Madison approached the compartment, she entered to find there were only three familiar faces. Ginny, Harry, and Neville.

Everyone turned to look at her.

"Uh... is this compartment c?" Madison asked as she felt her heart quicken and her palms begin sweating.

"Why yes it is!" an older man, who seemed to be the only adult present, piped up. He offered his hand. She shook it. "I'm Professor Slughorn, now please have a seat."

Madison took the only empty seat beside Harry and settled in rather awkwardly.

"Now, Madison, I just apologize," the man said, "but for the life of me, I cannot pronounce your last name!"

"Oh it's fine," Madison said, "honestly, don't worry about it. No one can. The other professors usually just refer to me by my first name."

"Well that works perfectly!" Slughorn said before turning to one of the nervous young men at the table, "Belby!"

Madison sat silently while Slughorn spoke to each guest individually. It felt like each student was being interrogated about their family and achievements. Slughorn seemed to take great joy in asking these questions, but Madison dreaded her turn. Maybe she could disappear. Maybe she could sneak out. That seemed unlikely as she was seated a mere spot away from Slughorn himself. Surely he would notice if she left.

"Ah Madison!" Slughorn exclaimed after he had finished interrogating Blaise Zabini. "Now, I've heard an awful lot about you!"

"Of course you have," Madison thought to herself as she hoped to all the deities that he wouldn't bring up the Triwizard Cup. The last thing she needed was for everyone to be reminded of how crazy and pathetic she looked as she sobbed over Cedric's body. If that wasn't what he would talk about, then how could he have possibly heard of her? The Prophet has a bit of a field day with that one.

"Oh yeah?" Madison responded, crossing her fingers.

"Absolutely! It's not often that Hogwarts has students from America enroll," Slughorn said, beaming as Madison let out a sigh of relief. "So what has it been like being the only American?"

"Um. Well-uh at first it was odd to say the least," Madison answered, her cheeks reddinging visibly as she felt all eyes on her. "Now I hardly notice a difference."

"All it took was some adjusting," Slughorn replied, "I also heard the move was rather sudden, correct?"

"Oh yes. Practically happened overnight," Madison replied with a small smirk.

"Well that's always good. It allows less time to dread change."

"Yes sir," she agreed.

"Now, other than you being the only American at the school, I have heard about your blossoming business. Now what was it again? Wormley's? Wheezy's?"