4: Rumours and a Fight

Start from the beginning

“Wow,” I say in awe, “Did you make all the bracelets you’re wearing too?

She grins at me, lifting up her arm and jangling them on her wrist, “Yeah, I like making jewelry a lot.”

She takes off one of her bracelets and gives it to me. I study it and find that the beads have been put onto separate strings and plated in intricate knots and loops.

I give it back to her, “It’s amazing!”

Mitch, momentarily coming out of her sulk, grins, “I don’t buys jewelry anymore Maddy’s stuff is just like the pros!” she takes a necklace out from underneath the neckline of her sweater for me to inspect.

Maddy smiles proudly, “I can make you a bracelet if you want.”

I nod my head at her, “Of course I’d love one! But only if it isn’t too much trouble.”

“Oh no! It’s not! This is my life, I love making jewelry.”

Mitch continues advertising Maddy’s wears, pulling up the sleeve of her sweater to reveal a bracelet of her own.

 “What color would you like?” Maddy asks, taking out various reels of colored thread, “You can pick more than one.”

I bite my lip as I survey them, “Well the rainbow colors would be nice, or a blue one, or a purple one… Argh! I don’t know!” I finally exclaim.

“Well how about I make you a rainbow bracelet and a blue mobile strap… Do you have any piercings? I could make you some studs if you want.” She pushes back her hair to reveal two sparkling flowers resting on her left ear.

“Wow, it looks like something you’d buy out of a shop!” I exclaim as I say pull some of my own hair back to show her my purple studs, “And I have my ears pierced too.”

 “Ladies” a hand snakes over my shoulder and grabs a couple of my fries, “How are we?”

I look up in surprise to see Wes munching on my chips. My look of surprise immediately turns into a frown when I see Jake next to him, grinning like the idiot that he is.

“Mind if we sit with?” He asks pleasantly. My new friends stare back, stunned. Maddy looks slightly awed whereas Mitch seems to be completely focused on not making eye-contact with either of them.

“Uh, s-sure” Mitch finally mutters. I’m surprised to see her blush and she concentrates on eating her food. Jake plants himself next to me on the bench, uncomfortably close. I try to make myself as small as possible but to no avail I’m squished.

“So,” Jake says as he puts his arm around my shoulder. I slap it off and continue eating my wrap. “How was your day so far?”

I grunt in response; there is no way I’m talking to this jerk. 

The table falls into an awkward silence. Maddy decides to break it. “So, I don’t take the rumor mill seriously or anything, but I need to know this. Are you guys friends? Boyfriend/Girlfriend?”

“No!” I say at the same time that Jake says, “Yes”.

Before I can give Jake the punch he deserves, Wes gets up and sits between us. “Our parents are really close friends so we grew up with each other for a bit before they moved to Australia. They moved back two weeks ago and then her parents went off on an anniversary holiday so she’s staying at our house until they get ba–”

“Wait a second,” I but in, “Since when am I staying with you? I finally got them to let me stay at home by myself! Why am I staying with you?”