4: Rumours and a Fight

Start from the beginning

“Really? It’s her first day here and she’s already built herself a crappy reputation.”

I scoff at the extent these rumors have built up to. How did me stuffing tissues down my bra end up with me getting a whole face re-construction? Jake McLane had gone way too far.

Mitch raises an eyebrow at me, “How’d you get mixed up with Trent Miller?”

I shrug, “Ran into him and his friends when I lost you on the way to class. Wes came and told them to get lost, but they were acting like first class jerks.” I frown at the memory.

Mitch gives me a sympathetic look when she sees the look of discomfort on my face. “Hey,” she says softly, “Whatever they did, don’t let it get to you, ok?”

I nod my head firmly more to convince myself rather than her, “Yeah.”

“Ah, the angels have heard my prayers!” Mitch exclaims suddenly as she scoops up a chicken salad wrap.

I survey the food that’s left before scooping up another chicken salad wrap and some French fries. I grab a bottle of water and then follow Mitch as she beelines out of the cafeteria and into the sunshine, heading to a picnic table with a girl waving her arms enthusiastically at us.

“Mitch! Where have you been?” The blonde, bright-eyed girl demands as Mitch sits down opposite to her. “You will not believe not believe what happened.”

I falter, unsure if I should sit down or not. Mitch sees this and pats the bench space next to her, “Maddy, this here’s my new besty – Hailey.”

Maddy’s eyes light up as she puts her hand up in a salute of some sort, “It’s nice to meet you Hailey.” She shoots a dry look at Mitch, “I thought I was your best friend though.”

Mitch frowns back at her, “You never liked it whenever I said it so I’m afraid you’ve been replaced.”

The two immediately start up a snappy yet playful argument over best friends which soon reverts to other matters which have no relevance whatsoever.

“Mitch, you know that batman is a real superhero.”

“He’s just a guy with no life in a suit. He doesn’t even have any powers.”

“You take that back!”

“Why should I? It’s the truth! He just drives about at insane speeds in his batmobile and knows a couple of ninja moves. Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern on the other hand, wow. He definitely knocks batman’s socks off.”

“Batman is able to do everything Spiderman, Superman, Green Lantern and all those other superheroes do. Sure he doesn’t have powers, but that makes him superior to them.” She turns towards me, “Don’t you agree Hailey?”

I smile, finding their banter amusing, “Well personally, I like b–”

Mitch puts her hand out, “Oh please don’t go on! I don’t want to hear it.”

Maddy smirks as he reaches down to her bag to retrieve a box, “Batman rules Mitch. It’s final.”

“I was actually going to say I like Bolt.” I interrupt before another argument can break loose.

The two sit back a bit stunned, mulling over what I’ve said. Maddy grins, “Not a bad choice Hale.” She shoots a sly look at Mitch, “It’s miles better than Mitch’s Green Lantern anyway.”

“When Ryan Reynolds comes knocking on my door decked out in his Green Lantern suit, we’ll see who’s laughing.” Mitch mutters.

Maddy opens the box to reveal a cacophony of brightly colored beads from which she takes out an unfinished bracelet, “Mitch, the day that Ryan Reynolds comes up to you of his own will, will be the day I finally admit that Batman isn’t the best superhero ever to grace this Earth.” She strings on the beads as she braids it at the same time and Mitch sits back with a sulky expression.