“I am going to miss you so, so much, Maggie,” Georgie whispered.

“Me, also,” Lizzie added.

She would miss them more than words could say. She did not take her family for granted. She knew that having parents who loved each other was a rarity. She adored her siblings and she did feel guilty for wanting to leave. It would not be forever. A piece of her history was missing, and she was going to find the answers. Once she had them, all would be well.

“Can you read this?” Maggie asked, handing Georgie the half written letter addressed to Bess.

Georgie nodded and began to concentrate. “Dear Aunt Bess,” she began, “I write to ask you and our family to an impromptu, but very important, dinner this evening. We are eager to host everyone, my dear cousins included, and I ask that you all arrive famished ready for a divine feast.” Georgie read well, and her eyes lit up when she reached the end, or where Maggie had written to. “Aunt Bess is coming to dinner?” she asked excitedly.

Maggie nodded. “Aunt Bess, Uncle Emmett, Grandmamma, Grandpapa, Aunt Rose, Uncle Derek – everyone.”

“Are we allowed to eat in the dining room?” Lizzie asked curiously.

Children were not usually permitted in the dining room for formal dinners. They ate away from the family, usually with their governess.

Maggie’s childhood governess had left the family to marry six years earlier. Charlotte had not hired another, and had instead elected to teach her daughters herself. Edward, along with his cousin David, would attend Eton, just like his father and his Uncle Emmett. It was already quite evident that Edward and David would be a repeat of their fathers. While Edward would be attending in three years, David was set to go to school in a few weeks, ready to start the term in September.

As a child, it was a treat for Maggie to eat in the dining room with the adults. It was rather a glamorous affair. She loved watching the footmen arrived with another dish that smelled just as amazing as the last. While it did take one awhile to understand the rules regarding the use of silverware, it was all worth it to be able to participate in one of her family’s meals.

“Now, I must finish writing Aunt Bess,” she told her sisters, her tone indicating that she wanted them to leave, “or else she shall be late. The letter must travel five miles as you well know.”  

“Come along, Lizzie,” Georgie urged, holding her hand out for her younger sister to take. “We shall see you at dinner, Maggie,” she chirped, the idea of dining with the family had improved her mood dramatically.

“See you, girls,” Maggie farewelled and she watched them open her door.

When the door opened, Maggie saw that Max was standing on the other side, his hand raised ready to knock. He greeted the girls happily and allowed them to pass before letting himself into Maggie’s bedroom. Maggie smiled at him and quickly finished writing to her aunt, signing the letter and folding it in half. She wrote her aunt’s name on the front, not bothering to heat wax for a seal, and then rang her bell for a maid to come and collect it.

“You do not have to go to America if you do not wish to, Max,” Maggie said after a moment. “I know Daddy was a little forceful. He usually is,” she added, causing Max to chuckle.

“I don’t mind,” he replied, “neither will my father or Rose. It will be a good experience, I think.”

Maggie heartily agreed. “You do understand why I have to go, don’t you?” she checked, raising her eyebrows. “You do not think me selfish? Impulsive?” She pursed her lips. “Silly?” she asked fearfully.