Flashes From the Past

Start from the beginning

I can hear him, I can feel his anger penetrating my mind, but I'm in too much pain to make sense of any of it. All I can make out of it is the tones. He's screaming, whispering, taunting... Crying?

I'm pulled from my thoughts when the curse attacks my body, and I'm back in the drawing room rolling around on the floor crying for anyone to help me whenever I can manage to choke words out. I cry for my mom, I beg for Draco, and plead for my life.

He doesn't listen...

"Miss Malfoy?"

I loudly gasp looking up to see Mad-eye gazing down at me almost like he's worried. I reach up to caress my pounding head to find that I'm drenched in sweat. "Yes?" I breathe my voice hoarse in the dead silent room, and I can feel everyone's eyes glued on me.

"Since Miss. Granger won't give us the last curse will you?" He asks almost like he's testing me, and I continue to tremble under his hard stare because it reminds me of my father's. Everyone around me seems to stunned to speak. The oh so cold hearted, malicious, stuck up Mara Malfoy everyone thought they knew was scared... Scratch that terrified.

What's wrong with her?

She looks like she's seen a ghost.

Oh no, not again...

I silently shake my head biting harshly down on my lip, and I catch Draco staring at me from the corner of my eye as I continue to ignore everyone's worries that I can't fight off because I'm too distracted. He knows, I can tell he knows because he's not wearing his classic smirk instead his face is sunken in, and I can tell all he wants to do is come comfort me.

But he wouldn't do that with all his minions sitting around, and Pansy hanging onto him like he's her prey. Because to him his appearance is all that matters.

I'm sorry...

I'm jostled back into reality when a short burst of green light shoots from Moody's wand and hits the spider instantly collapsing to Hermione's desk. A shrill gasp fills the room, and I think it came from my mouth until I hear Harry whispering to Leah. I peek over my shoulder to see we're in similar situations. She's clutching her desk so tightly her knuckles are turning white, and all the exuberance and innocence that shines through her eyes slowly fades away as she gazes at the unmoving arachnid.

So that's how it happened...

Her mind whispers curiously still sounding sad, and for a split second my worry for my best friend blocks everyone else out.

"Not pleasant. And there's no counter curse, no blocking it. Only two people are known to have survived it and they're sitting in this room." He halts in front of them Leah trying to compose herself always thinking she has to be someone everyone expects her to be while Harry is completely lost in his own little world.

I turn back around my body stiff as I think of the curse he just used, the one unforgivable curse my father never used simply because it had no return. Then my mind wanders to last year's DADA class, and my boggart that still haunts me to this day.

I stood tall in front of the contraption keeping a stone cold expression on my face. Looking behind me I can see Draco shoving his way to the back because of course the Prince of Slytherin can't let his fellow wizards see he's actually the biggest coward in this room.

Slowly the giant spider transformed into someone no one else in the room expected except me. In front of me stood a slightly taller girl looking tired probably aged by the fact she had no one to save her. This girl was me, but a version of me I've always feared I will one day become.