“Coming!” June’s voice caroled. She shot a beam to her daughter before bustling to the door. She took a quick breath and brushed her hands along the skirt of her dress and reached for the knob. “Hi!” she warmly greeted the older woman.

            “June,” Elaine caroled, embracing her old friend kindly. “You look fabulous,” she noted, gesturing to her purple dress.

            “Thank you, as do you,” June replied, mirroring her movements. They did a quick exchange of ‘I missed you’s while Iridesca shook behind the wall of the kitchen. Ten years, she repeated in her mind. After ten years I see her again. “Iridesca, come see Miss Elaine!” Her heart plummeted into her stomach, and she swallowed thickly. After inhaling a breath, she stepped out from the comfort and safety of the wall and into her past life.

            The first thing she noticed was how much older Elaine looked. Of course she would have appeared aged; after all, it had been a decade since she’d last seen her. But she had grown crow’s feet around her caring brown eyes that could only have been made from stress or exhaustion. Her toothy smile was still vibrant but seemed forced instead of its usual blissful and natural undertone. Her hair was slightly graying—no surprise there either—but the mahogany color had dulled to a sleepy brown.

            The second point she made based on Elaine’s appearance was the expression she held: at first, when Iridesca had just rounded the corner, she wore a sharp grin, but as soon as she saw her, her smile faded to a disappointed look. Her fuchsia-stained lips were pursed into a thin, slightly wrinkled line as she analyzed her up and down. Iridesca was automatically confused and slightly chagrinned, but she kept her small smile and approached the older woman. Eventually, Elaine’s smile returned, sadder and much more forced—if even possible—but she still greeted the teenager warmly. June, however, was completely oblivious to both of the ladies’ feelings; assuming they were both happy to see each other, she kept her excited grin on her cheeks as the two embraced each other. The dark corner in her mind knew that there was something more—there always was—but she went with the phrase that kept the beautiful mask on her life: ignorance is bliss.

                                                                    ♥♫♥

            Frustrated, she whipped her eyelids open and huffed.

            She sat straight up in her bed and tangled her arms across her chest, pouting grumpily. She was exhausted but restless; it was one in the morning, and it had been a lethargically-going, flustering day, yet she still couldn’t sleep. Grace knew why, though: the dinner with the Belleviews. It had been two days since her mother called informing her of it, but she, feeling highly uneasy about the whole situation, declined the offer. Not like it was much of a declination, nor was it an “offer”; she had excused herself saying work didn’t allow. It was a white lie, yes, and Grace resented lying to her mother, but it was for the best.

            She ran a hand through her blonde locks, wiry from constant use of mousse, and sighed with enervation. The hotel room was silent except for the low whisper of the air conditioner. She reeled scenarios through her mind consuming what was going on at the dinner; they could be having a jolly time, catching up, eating a hearty meal, or it could be extremely awkward, like she had predicted.

            Suddenly, a flashback roamed her thoughts:

            “Gracie!” a familiar high-pitched voice and blue eyes called as she bolted out the front door to greet Grace. With a dazzling smile, her best friend tossed her arms around her neck. It was midsummer after sixth grade, and the two had just seen each other after a month of no connection.