“Thanks,” was all she replied, keeping her eyes trained on scooping out portions onto both her and my sister’s plates.

“I don’t want to eat vegetables,” my sister whined, her hand already reaching out to pick out what she didn’t want to eat and throwing them back onto my mother’s plate.

My father and I shared an amused glance as my mom gave a loud sigh and resigned to eating, completely ignoring my sister. It was a routine by now; my mom would give Lyssa her assigned portion of greens, Lyssa would whine and put them back, and my mother would finish it up by letting out her infamous sigh.

“So, are you excited for your big day tomorrow?” my dad finally broke the silence, setting down his fork and looking intently at me.

“I think so, yeah, it’s a bit of a step for me, but I’m looking forward to it,” I continue eating my pasta. No more food like this for quite awhile, so might as well make the best of it. “I mean, it’ll be strange to go to school knowing virtually no one, almost like starting over.”

“That’s true,” he nodded thoughtfully, glancing towards my mother, who was starting to get that glazed-over expression in her eyes that meant she was about to cry.

“No, sissy, I don’t want you to go,” Lyssa exclaimed, clinging onto me for all she was worth.

I smiled and ruffled her hair. “Lyss, it’s my time to grow up, explore the world. I have things to do, things to see, and this is my chance, okay? Besides, I promise I’ll be home before you know it, and I’ll bring presents!”

She smiled adorably, her small dimples appearing. “Okay, sis,” was all that she replied simply, before focusing her attention back onto her pasta.

God, I would miss her, not to mention my parents, who had always been there for me since basically forever. But right now, was my time to shine, and this was my golden opportunity, waiting for me to reach out and grasp it, and damn it to all hell if anything was going to stop me. I thought of my friends momentarily and sighed as a brief flash of sadness came over me. I would miss them too, no doubt about that, but I was sure to make new friends at college. They weren’t exactly going to be part of my life anymore, and it was best to enjoy every moment while it lasted.

-

           I adjusted the navy blue graduation gown that pooled at my feet, looking back at my floor-length mirror as I did so. I had practiced walking around in my room for hours, just in my gown and heels to ensure that nothing would mess up when I was on the stage. Because that would just be the highlight of my life: tripping on the stage while receiving my diploma and crashing into my principal. Delightful.

            But everything seemed perfect, almost eerily so, and I was determined to keep it that way. Ripping the plastic covering my graduation cap, I took it out of its safety bag and gently placed it over my head, brushing aside my wayward locks as I did so. A gasp sounded behind me, and I looked at the mirror to see who was at the door.

            “You look beautiful, Sasha,” was all my mother said before stumbling her way across my room and gathering me into a hug.

            “Careful, you’re going to wrinkle her gown,” my father gently pried her arms away from my torso. She let go reluctantly, tears already starting to gather in her eyes.

            “Stop, don’t cry, if you cry, then I’m going to end up being a bawling mess too, and I’d rather not be puffy-eyed in all of my graduation photos,” I joke half-heartedly, patting my mom on the back.

            “Are you ready, then?” my dad asked from the doorway.

            I took a hesitant glance back into the mirror and around my room. “As ready as I’ll ever be, I suppose,” I say, fiddling a bit with my hair. Taking one final look at the room, I realize that by the time I get back, I’ll no longer be a child. I'd finally be an adult, and that would change everything. So this would be the last time I stepped foot in my room still as a child. There really was no going back now.