Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

This one wasn't locked. It squealed open and revealed a folded piece of light green fabric. Snatching it up, I reveled in the floating, velvety quality to it. It felt like running water over my tingling skin, so I let it fall out from its folds. It resembled a bed sheet, but was much too high quality for such a thing. I didn't know what it could be, but I certainly needed something to wear. Sweeping my hair to the side, I tied it over one shoulder and around to the other side, knotting it at my right thigh. It looked like a shabby-chic short dress in my minds' eye, but a very luxurious one at that. It opened to reveal my side, but it was much better than being mostly naked.

I examined the shelves next. Nothing sat on them but a light layer of grime. Sighing a breath of air, I didn't know what to do with myself. A small voice told me that I should be starving at this point, but I felt only...empty. As if a pumpkin spoon had been scraped along my insides to get the seeds of my immediate memories out. I found that I had to think hard about my family and Jace to get my experiences with them back. But when the scenes were found and replayed in my minds' eye, they seemed off- clear with color that I'd never seen before. Grabbing the knife off of the floor where I had set it took more energy than what seemed right.

The only door to the room was locked, and when I say locked, I mean it was bolted and chained multiple times over with a bar of metal melted into place. I didn't know how I knew this, since I was on the other side, but I did. I went to a wall and leaned, sliding down to sit on the ground with the dagger gripped at the ready in my lap. I coughed, making my head throb more sharply. The light flickered.

This would be a long wait.

*********************************

And here I sat, alone with my depressing thoughts, until I had to start pacing. Where was Jace right now? Were they all alright? Or had the Sharves gotten them too, holding them elsewhere in the ship? The worry and nagging sensation that chipped away at my calm pushed me into repetitive circles; at this point, I should have worn ruts into the metal floor. I couldn't tell how much time passed since there were no windows. But I had an inkling that I'd been taken awhile ago, enough so that it would draw plenty of attention. That is, if everyone were still back home. I slammed a balled fist into the one locker door that was still intact. It crumpled.

I tried the door again, rattling and banging with new resolve. Dents formed in its rusted surface, which fueled my effort more. Distantly, I wondered at my lack of pain or broken fingers, but that wasn't the most important thing. Nor was catching tetanus.

I had to get out. If they were hurt or dead, I didn't know what I would do, and just the thought sent my insides to a roiling mass of stinging panic. I had to see if they were okay, and I felt a surge of fire roll through my core, bursting outwards into a wave. A bolt of energy flew from the palm of my hand to the door, frying right through the solid mass of it. In a matter of seconds, there was now no door to speak of. In shock, I stared from my hand to the now obliterated space in front of me. The charred smell of melted metal and ozone filled my nose as I waved the same hand through the air. Nope, no more obstacle. My brain numb, I didn't think any more of the matter.

I tested it out further by stepping through into a tight corridor. A mix of wonder and horror shook me. Metal was everywhere; it was the floor, low hanging ceiling, walls, and doors. It filled my senses until I felt sick and claustrophobic. I ran a hand along the wall as I went, in case my body decided it had had enough, my feet propelling me forward with a sense of urgency. I tested a door. It was jammed shut. Putting a hand to it, I shut my eyes. Some instinct told me to do so, the same as the act that led to the now nonexistent doorway behind me. There was nothing of importance to me on the other side, the instinct said, so move on. I did.