“Well act like you are officers of the law.”

“I apologize for my behavior your honor. It’s not every day you run into an incompetent Attorney.”

“Excuse you? Who are you calling incompetent?”

“You’re the only other attorney in this room. So it’s not that hard to figure out.” He fixed his tie.

I kept my mouth shut, because I was about to go from 0 to 100 real quick on his ass.

“Now your honor if I can complete my statement without being interrupted.” He rolled his eyes at me.

“Go on Mr. Parker.” The judge sighed and rested his head on his fist.

“Thank your sir. I was saying if you look at the surveillance video taken you can clearly see that, that is the defendant.”

“Your honor, the video simply shows a person in a black hoodie. That could be either male or female. You do not see a face.” I interrupted.

“Mr. Parker I have to agree with Ms. Riley on this, you see no face. The video is too grainy. I’m going to have to substain her objection.”

“Your call your honor.” He rolled his eyes and sat down.

 “Are we ready for closing arguments?” Judge Olsen asked us.

“Yes.” We both replied in unison.

“Mr. Parker you first.”

I sat down while Nate went to the podium to speak.

“Ladies and Gentleman of the jury on April 5, Chase Bank was robbed. The defendant was seen fleeing the scene in a black hoodie by our key witness. Why would the defendant run if he was innocent? It does not take rocket science to understand why? It’s because he was guilty. Why did he have on the exact same black hoodie as in the surveillance video? It’s because ladies and gentleman of the jury, he was guilty. How many of you bank with Chase?”

A few people raised their hands.

“I do as well. And on April 5, the defendant smashed the window to that chase bank, and stole $10,000.00 cash from hardworking individuals just like you and myself. Hardworking indviduals who get up everyday and earn our cash. But the defendant couldn’t do that. No, he had to go and steal it. Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, I urge you to throw this man behind bars until he learns to work for what he wants, just like everybody else. I ask that you return a verdict for guilty. Thank you.”

“Ms. Riley.” The judge called out.

“Ms. Riley.” Nate repeated with a smug attitude and brushed pass me.

He sat with his legs crossed men style, moving his pen back and forth in his hands watching.

“According to Mr. Parker my client is automatically guilty because he wore a black hoodie. This hoodie I have in my hand.” I held up a black hoodie. “Belongs to someone dear to me, my boyfriend. Who happens to be the same age as the defendant. Judge me as you may. But my boyfriend works relentlessly for every penny he earns. I have seen him exhaust himself so he can make money the legal way. And he so happens to wear hoodies, 89% of the time. For him, it’s a safe zone."

"And so according to Mr. Parker if my boyfriend happened to go to deposit his check he worked hard for, in his black hoodie that he wears often, he would automatically be seen as guilty. I thought we lived in America where it was innocent before proven guilty? But that doesn’t seem to be the legal barometer in which Mr. Parker lives.

Why did I mention my boyfriend? Because like him, the defendant works relentlessly for his money so he can take care of his newborn daughter. And you know why he had on the hoodie? Not so he could hide his face, but because the hardwear store in which he works, blast the air conditioning and my client gets cold. It doesn’t take rocket science to figure out that it would be illogical to wear a winter coat. And why was he at the bank? He was depositing his pay check. And why did he run? Because he heard the glass breaking because the real robber, who should be here today and not my client, was breaking in the back window. I know if I heard glass breaking and I’m at a bank, I would run too.

Ladies and the gentleman of the jury, please don’t prejudge my client as the prosecution did. Give him a fair chance at life, and the opportunity to continue being the great dad he is to his newborn daughter. I ask that you return a verdict for not guilty. Thank you.” I took my seat, and rolled my eyes at Nate.

“Alright jury you have heard the evidence and testimony for both sides. The jury instructions are on the table. Go back and deliberate and return with your verdict. You are dismissed.”

The judge got up and went to his chambers and the jury went into the jury room to deliberate. The balif took my client back to lock up until they were ready. 15 minutes later, the jury had came to a decision.

An Asian woman in her forties read the verdict.

“We the jury find the defendant, not guilty on all charges.”

I smiled at my client and he hugged me.

“Yo, thank you Amb. ”

“You’re welcome Kirko.”

I was happy to have got him off. He might have did things in his past, but he was really trying to turn his life around and he honestly didn’t rob that bank.

I gathered my things and was about to leave the courtroom, when Nate came up to me. He held out his hand.

“Why are you over here?” I grabbed my briefcase.

“Extending an olive branch to the enemy.”

“Get out of my way.” I brushed passed him and left out of the courtroom .

He rushed after me and stood in front of the elevator.

“Would you move?”

“Wait. I should first apologize. Sometimes I get caught up in the moment.”

“Good to know.” I tried to push him.

“Amber honestly, I know I’m rough in there, but I’m always amazed when I go against you. Sometimes its hard to watch the trial, I’m always so focused on you.” I noticed he gave me a suggestive look.

 “Please move.”

 “Can I have just one moment of your time? Just one.”

“What Nate?” I was so over him.

 “I haven’t told anybody this, but I’m running for mayor.” He said looking around making sure nobody was looking.

“Ok, what does that have to do with me?”

“I want you to be my campaign manager. I know with you I’d win.”

 “I’m going to be moving soon.”

“What if I made staying worth your while. I win, you become my chief of staff. I lose, you move.”

“That’s not an opition.”

“Please Amber. Just consider it. I know I act hard when I go against, but it’s just because deep down I admire you so much. I always feel inadequate going against you and I feel like I have to overcompensate. Okay, now I’m going on a tangent.”

“You are and I don’t have time. Move Nate.”

“Please. Consider it.” He handed me his card.

“ I think we’d make a great team. We’d run Atlanta. And if we’re successful you never know where it could lead. We could be the next Barack and Michelle. You’re everything I need, I mean the campaign needs.”

I looked up at him, did he just suggest?

“I’ve said too much.” He sighed and grabbed his head in frustration.

“You have.” I got on the elevator and we both looked down uncomfortable as the doors closed.