The Family Business

Start from the beginning

Papa's voice took on a sombre tone. "I don't dislike him, Lorenzo. I simply don't get along with my father." Demetrius' snort could almost be heard. "And regardless of whether or not your grandfather is a member of the Carabinieri, the position is mine to hold." 

"But Papa," Noelle piped up, "Why did we suddenly lose all our wealth? We didn't have a care in the world when Mamma was alive, what happened? Did it have to do with you and Nonno Giovanni having a falling out? And how did you manage to get the position? Nonno Giovanni is the Chief of Staff, one of the three highest positions, right under Comandante Generale, and the Vice-Comandante Generale. There's no way Nonno Giovanni would've allowed you to become hired."

"Never you mind how it happened, just be glad it did." Papa frowned, leaving it at that.

"So what does that mean for us?" Enzo asked, genuinely curious. It finally looked like their father would have a steady job. Things were looking up already.

"It means," a feminine voice intoned, causing them all to look towards the front door, "That I may yet get my house to myself."

"Zia Rosabella!" The children ran forward, embracing their aunt as she raised her shopping bags above her head so that the contents wouldn't be crushed. 

"Whoa, calm down, kids. You wouldn't want to squish your presents, right? Or would you?" She chuckled, taking a step back to free herself from their clinging grasp. "You little monsters would probably break my house too, if you got the chance. I've got something for you too, Raphael."

The rest  of her words were lost upon them the moment she uttered "presents". They swarmed her like a rabid pack of dogs, hands snatching and jumping. She tossed the presents above her, three paper shopping bags launched into the air as she stepped back. With a hand on her hip and an amused expression on her face, she let them claim their presents; they already knew which belonged to whom. 

Demetrius swiped the large, black paper bag before it landed. Noelle mimicked the feat, snatching a royal blue one as swiftly as her older brother. Enzo nearly caught his, but he was tripped up by his younger sister, merely for her amusement. He fell to the ground with a thud, his present bag skittering across the floor.

"You shouldn't leave yourself open, Enzo," she giggled, watching as Rosabella and Raphael pick him up by each by the shoulder. 

"Noelle!" Raphael's tone was sharp. "Respect your older brother."

"Sorry," Noelle grinned kittenishly, her eyes twinkling mischievously. Enzo knew she didn't mean it.

"Right." Rosabella shrugged off her fashionable leather jacket as it slumped to ground. An image of an emerald green serpent with glittering rubies for eyes was emblazoned upon the back of it. She grinned,  and placed a hand on the hip of her form-fitting, mini black dress.  Enzo claimed his present, and the three immediately began digging in the paper shopping bags. "For Demetrius, I don't think words are necessary."

Reaching into the bag, he pulled out a small, black box. Removing the lid, he pulled out a keychain. Dangling on the keychain was a key, and instantly he realized what his present was. Demetrius gasped, disbelieving. "A motorcycle."

"Your motorcycle. It's waiting outside for you. Along with the helmet. I'll take you out for a ride in a bit. As for your very own leather jacket..." She produced one from behind her back, handing it to the boy.

"There's no snake on it," he observed. He looked impressed, a small smile appearing on his face for once. His aunt knew him well.

"Sorry, you don't meet the qualifications for the group. Nothing personal." She gestured to Noelle. "Your turn. You'll find a bow and arrow, as well as a coupon redeemable for training at the local Archery Club, to kill your boredom in more interesting ways."