Happy Halloween

A little one-shot of some of the kiddos(humans, by the way-) going trick-or-treating for Spooktober, since I wasn't able to get a longer Halloween chapter done in time. Hopefully I'll have something decent out soon, though!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Dreeaam! You're too slooowww!" the child, who was at most barely ten, whined. He was dressed as a vampire, the deep black clothing making him almost invisible in the moonlight. His hair was slicked back and even though the snazzy shirt felt weird, he thought the boots were a nice touch. The moonlight brought out the burnt side of his face, which the boy only thought made him look even spookier. It was like realistic face paint, but better.

His brother, also a vampire, was trying to keep up with is ungodly fast walking pace. They'd long since come up with the strategy of carrying a pillow case as a candy basket, since people are more likely to put more candy in to fill it up.

"Miss Cross said he'd be out by ten!" Dream cried out meekly. "It's barely half past nine!" His twin ignored him, spotting his friend's house and sprinting over. Dream wheezed and scuttled along faster.

The Peñaloza household -which neither of the twins could pronounce very well without saying piñata- was a lovely wooden home painted white. It had a little space under the stairs blocked off by wire and a brick patio. The population of kids was increasing slightly, a few wandering up to the lit windows in hopes of getting some of the early, often better candy.

"Nighty!" a small head poked out from inside and bolted, tackling Nightmare in a hug. He was dressed as a werewolf, the headband supporting ears nearly falling off. He nearly tripped over the tail, but was happy nonetheless.

Cross' cousin, Xcellence, poked his head out. Not being in the spirit of Halloween, clearly, since Cross must've sucked it out of him with his excitement. But he was trying, dressed as a mummy. It wasn't half-bad, either, only his face and ankles left uncovered to leave room for rather uncomfortable-looking old-fashioned sandals. He walked out to greet them.

"Aren't we getting Halluciv next?" Dream asked. X nodded. They'd planned this prior- gather up their friends, and then scare the locals with a horde of tiny terrors. Next after Halluciv would be Geno and Reaper. Maybe Error, if he wasn't going out alone or elsewhere with his fellow teenagers. Ink didn't celebrate Halloween, and they respected that.

They resumed walking, Xcellence in the front and Dream in the back. Cross and Nightmare were already exchanging deals between chocolate and sour candies. It was Nightmare's shameful indulgent; he loved sour and spicy things.

The night went by pleasantly slowly as they went towards Halluciv's home. He lived with his twin, Marvul, who would be staying home to spook the trick-or-treaters and throw candy at them. Halluciv had been overhyped about Halloween in recent days, so they didn't know what to expect.

A small shape was running towards them from the direction of point B. Xcellence paused, not moving when Cross bumped into him from behind. He squinted. "...is that Lucy?"

Indeed it was.

Xcellence squawked as he tried to escape the bear hug, Halluciv easily being lifted off the ground as he latched onto him. "CELLLYYY!!" he squealed.

Xcellence managed to step back to get a good look at what he was dressed as. A very overhyped zombie, fake blood splattering his sides and his hair more of a mess than usual. There were several sticks in it. He had a torn-up suit that complimented his adorable, determined face. Xcellence couldn't tell if the mud on his shoes was fake or from running towards them from across the street. "...rawr."

Halluciv smirked proudly when Xcellence snickered, X himself unsure on why that cute little noise made him laugh. Soon Halluciv had grabbed him and practically made the entire party run to get to Geno and Reaper's neighborhood and running around houses on the way.

Dream seemed amused when first hearing the clear as day sound of Reaper singing at the top of his lungs. "SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS!" Reaper hollered, dressed as his namesake and dragging poor Geno along in front of his house. Geno was, unsurprisingly, a zombie, fake blood staining around his mouth. A bit less effort than what was put into Halluciv's, but based on how Reaper was practically carrying him, it looked fitting.

The small group watched as Reaper half scared off trick-or-treaters and half lured them in closer. A couple were recording it on their phones, smirks plastered on their faces at the amusing sight. Reaper was really into holidays, and everyone on the street knew that. Last year's Reaper-in-a-snowman-and-scaring-the-life-out-of-Geno incident during Christmas proved that.

Geno escaped Reaper's grip and scurried over to Halluciv, clinging to him for help. "He's gonna make me dance with him I swear and I need help." he hissed, screeching like a cat as Reaper chased him down and scooped him up in another hug.

"It irks me to see painfully oblivious love." Nightmare cooed. Dream gave him a strange look, as did Cross. Nightmare shrugged it off to them being jealous of his far superior vocabulary.

"You....never mind." Dream sighed, face-palming. Cross gave him an owlish look, a faint pink rising to his cheeks at the equally owlish look Nightmare gave.

"Lovebirds! Come on, we have CANDY to get!" Halluciv squealed, bolting off without warning. Xcellence yelped and followed as fast as he could without tripping over his own costume. Nightmare blushed at the term 'lovebirds' and yelled after him in denial as Cross tried to hide.

Reaper snickered and followed closely, Geno right beside him. Geno couldn't really have much sugar, because he had a god-awful body that tried to kill him in multiple ways throughout his young like. Too much sugar equals a short coma while his stomach was pumped. But he still liked the occasional cookie or Hershey's kiss.

Nightmare just never developed a taste for candy, gonna trade with everyone else to get the sour or bitter things. Xcellence was pretty much gonna split his share and give it to Halluciv, not obsessed with sugar like he was. Dream loved candy, and Reaper was 'meh' on it, enjoying bitter things more.

"What's our route?" Dream asked. Normally certain homes gave out more or better candy than others. Nightmare shrugged and Dream face-palmed.

"Can we go to that really Christian church?" Halluciv piped up. "Don't they have a trunk-or-treat event going on?"

"Do you think our parents would even let us?" Xcellence asked.

A moment of silence.

"Let's do it." Nightmare said. "I mean, Dream and I actually have the most room for the candy anyways." he motioned to the pillow case. He smirked widely at Halluciv's whine. "We could get a bag at our place."

Hm, that sounded pretty good. A murmur of agreement swept through the group of children. "...now, which one of you has the best sense of navigation?" Nightmare asked, knowing sadly he had an awful sense of direction. Plus, asking for directions was way too wimpy for him and half of the group in general.

"I think it's yeast." Halluciv shrugged and pointed in the general direction of the church.

"You mean northeast?" X asked, having the better sense of where it was. Halluciv nodded.

"Yeah, yeast."

"Close enough."