Chapter Thirty One + Epilogue

Start from the beginning

Lady Adalbert was the one who saw him coming. Breaking free from her pack, she marched in front of him, hands on her hips, looking as fierce as a lioness. “You can go no further Sheldrake.”

“I need to.” William tried to side step her, but Lady Callista was quicker. “She needs me.” He continued.

“Clearly she doesn’t. Charlie said no, didn’t she?” She berated.

“There’s been a misunderstanding.” He replied. Sighing, he stared deep into her eyes. “I love her. I need to make her my wife, if she’ll still have me.”

Reluctantly, Lady Callista stepped out of his way. “The door is locked and she’s refusing to open it.” She informed.

“No worries.” William replied and got down on his knees. He pried the carpet and underneath, sat a key, collecting rust and dust. It was an emergency duplicate his grandfather placed under the carpet. William picked up the key, inserted it into the keyhole and unlocked the door with a small click.

The castle’s main library was a huge, cavernous room with high ceiling filled with books, old maps and drawings. The shelves that were fitted to the walls reached from floor to ceiling. In the centre of the room a group of plush chairs and soft pillows sat in a comfortable nest. Upon of those chairs, William spied his bride-to-be, sitting cross legged and looking surprisingly calm.

His heart gave a mighty lurch and guilt prodded him with a vengeance.

Charlotte must have sensed him coming because she abruptly looked up. She shot to her feet and started to wave her bouquet in an intimidating manner. “Go away.” She shouted.

William took a step further and Charlotte fled towards the book shelf. He followed her steps and once realizing that she was cornered, Charlotte ran towards the tall ladder, the ones used to retrieve books that were placed too high up, and began to climb.

“Charlotte.” He called from underneath. “Come down sweetheart.”

“No.” She muttered.

“Lorelei told me everything. I was wrong and I’m very sorry.” He said, looking up to her. “Come down, please?”

“It’s a little too late for apologies.” She shook her head and pulled a rather thick tome from the shelf. “Leave or I drop this on your head.” Charlotte began to wave the book threateningly. However, the weight of the book must have been too much because she began to teeter off balance. Charlotte toppled and fell onto William.

All air must have been knocked out of him as she fell, leaving him breathless. William opened his eyes and found Charlotte straddling him. He stared up in wonder, her hair had tumbled down from their crown and a shower of hydrangea petals were was raining down on them.

“Oh god Charlie...” He muttered hoarsely. “That’s the second time you almost killed me.”

“Oh, please. People do not die so easily.” She snapped. She tried to roll away but William trapped her with his hands. 

“I have something to say.” He began while she started to trash around, trying to get loose. “I am an idiot driven by jealousy. I’m sorry for all the things that I have done wrong.” Charlotte was still wriggling to set herself free.

“Let me go, let me go, let me go!” 

“I am an arse who won’t listen to reason.” He paused. Charlotte had ceased thrashing around and was looking down onto him.

“Go on.” She prodded him on, arching a brow, still frowning.

“I promise that I’ll devote my life making up for the tactless things I have done to you.”