four

✳︎

✳︎

Peter and his siblings had settled in well enough at the train station. They were sitting in a comfortable silence, none of them really knowing what to say. Peter knew Susan was frustrated - his recent behaviour hadn't exactly been worth commendation. Lucy seemed content to lose herself in her imagination, and Edmund just didn't speak. Peter never quite knew what was going on in Edmund's head. Of all his siblings, he'd always been the hardest to read. So, that was why it surprised Peter when Edmund was the first to break the silence.

"Pete, can I talk to you?" His brother glanced to Lucy, and Peter knew it was a conversation Edmund wanted to have somewhere that their youngest sibling couldn't hear them. Peter nodded, standing up to follow Ed slightly further away from the bench where they were gathered. His brother swallowed loudly, clearly unsure of how to begin the conversation. "You need to clean up your act, Pete. Susan's right."

"I don't know, Ed. It's just so frustrating. We weren't kids, and now we're expected to behave like them. I just can't do it." Edmund sighed, clearly exasperated, and Peter reached up a hand to push his hair off his forehead, a habit he'd gotten into recently. "I know I should try harder, Ed. It's just bloody difficult." His brother nodded a little, looking back over to their sisters.

"You know Lucy believes we're going back, and I don't want to discourage her, but Pete, you have to stop whatever this is. Getting into fights every five minutes isn't exactly a great example for her. Maybe we'll go back, and maybe we won't. Just grow up, Peter." That was jarring to hear. Peter hadn't really thought of it that way. He'd almost been acting more like a child since they'd come back. It was strange to look at his behaviour from that perspective. "Come on. Let's go back before they worry." His younger brother pushed past him, moving back to the bench where they were all sitting.

Peter didn't really know what to think anymore. He wanted to have the same persistent optimism as Lucy, the constant belief that one day they'd go back to Narnia, but it was hard. It was bloody hard, and Peter didn't quite know how Lucy managed it. He sat down wordlessly beside his siblings, leaning his head on the wall and shutting his eyes. At least the train ride would provide him with a moment alone, a moment to breathe. Lord knew he needed it. He cracked one eye open when he heard a sudden movement from his right - Susan had turned swiftly.

"Peter, pretend you're talking to me." He opened both eyes, sitting up straight. Susan looked like a deer caught in headlights. Clearly, she'd seen someone she didn't want to see again. "Sometime in the next week would be preferable." Peter snorted, pushing himself up.

"Fine, fine, I'm talking to you." Susan raised her eyebrows at him, clearly not impressed by his efforts. Peter just rolled his eyes, turning to face her more. "What do you want me to do, Susan, ask you how your day is going?" Susan groaned in annoyance, leaning back against the wall, but before either one of them could get another word in, a sudden cry came from next to them. Lucy had stood up rapidly, her eyes flashing between her siblings.