Chapter One

I've always been obsessed with the end of the world. Ever since my father and I watched the 1953 version of the War of the Worlds, I've been intrigued by the many ways Armageddon could take place. A big flood? A meteor? A mutating virus, perhaps?

When I was seven, I built a canoe made of sticks, just in case a flood would come. When I was nine, I stole a gas mask from old man Gregory's garage when he forgot to close it one morning. When I was twelve I began constructing tree houses with my brothers that could come in handy as a "zombie hide-out". I never knew that my many preparations would one day be useful.

* * *

It all started one cool, quiet October morning. The sun was just beginning to rise and the birds began to chirp. I opened up my window, letting in a chilly fall breeze. In the distance, I could hear sirens. Ambulance maybe? I quietly made my way downstairs to the kitchen, ready to get my hands on a bowl of cereal.

The kitchen was dark, the only light was that of the digital clock on the oven and microwave.

By the refrigerator, I saw movement. Something crouched on the ground, it's back to me. I froze in my tracks, my eyes wide, and my heart pounding in my ears. Then suddenly, it's head whipped around, revealing sparkling eyes, crazed and wild.

" What the hell are you doing, Greg?" I asked my older brother as he was chomping down on a honey bun on the kitchen floor.

"Eating. What's it look like?" He asked. I picked up a banana from the counter and chucked it at him.

"You freaked me out, dude. That's not a good place to eat when the lights are out." I said angrily.

"Chill, El. I got a honey bun from the cabinet and was too lazy to get back up." He then grabbed the counter to help boost himself to his feet.

"Just don't do that stuff again, seriously." I spun around on my heel, my long tangled blonde morning bed hair followed me to the living room where I was going to watch my Saturday morning cartoons in peace as I ate the last honey bun I grabbed off of the counter.

As the minutes went on, one by one my family members started emerging from their dens. First after Greg and I was our parents, groggy and grumpy, stumble downstairs to make their morning coffee, my youngest five year old sister CoCo right behind them.

Next was the twins, Fran and Barney, the most annoyed twelve year olds you will ever meet in your life.

It all played out as a normal Saturday afternoon until a knock on the door disrupted the peace.

"I'll get it!" I volunteered as I hopped off of the couch where I had been sitting for the past few hours watching my cartoons like I wasn't almost eighteen years old.

As I opened the door, the stern face of a tall police officer greeted me. "Ma'am, there has been an order for everyone to evacuate the town and we're going to need you and your family to pack as quickly as possible and head South."