A kind heart behind Death's eyes.

Start from the beginning

"Death!" Rose shouted. "I tried to warn her!"

Death didn't say anything as he began lifting Applejack slowly, the creaking of the boards made them both nervous.

"You're good!" Rose said. "Everything is fine!"

Applejack was lifted to Death's level, she made eye contact to see the concern and worry in his eyes as he kept his eyes on what he was doing but occasionally would lock eyes with her again.

"Good, good, now come back this way!" Rose said.

Death didn't let go of Applejack's mane until all four hooves were on solid ground, once he did let go, the bridge gave out and Death fell with it.

"Death!" Rose shouted as she looked down, there was no reply. "Oh no..."

"I'm sure he's okay!" Apple Bloom said, but she wasn't so sure herself.

"Where are we supposed to go now?" Applejack asked.

"Rose, there you are!" Somepony shouted, all three of them looked over to see a dead pony. "What's going on?"

Rose burst into tears and ran over to the dead pony. "Something terrible has happened, Toxin!" She bawled. "Death fell down and I don't know if he's okay!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, calm down!" Toxin said as he got down to her level. "I'm sure he's fine."

"How do you know?!" Rose asked in anger.

"Because I know him, he won't go down that fast, he'll be just fine." Toxin replied, he looked up at Apple Bloom and Applejack. "Are you ladies lost?"

"Uh, yeah, do you know how to get back to Ponyville?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Well, it's been a very long time since I came from that way, but I remember where the mailbox is." Toxin replied.

"Mailbox?" Applejack asked.

"I'll explain on the way." Toxin replied. "I'll take you as far as the mailbox, after that, you're on your own."

"Thanks, Toxin." Apple Bloom said.

As they began walking, Toxin began explaining the mailbox.

"The mailbox is a little thing that somepony from long ago put up to keep in contact with family members that were banished, and it's still in use today." Toxin started. "The princesses don't know about it because they didn't want any communication between us and the marked flanks."

"Who still uses it?" Apple Bloom asked.

"A couple of ponies that I know of is a brother and sister." Toxin started. "Honeygold sends letters to his sister all the time, but he's scared of losing her because he'll be forgotten."

"Who's his sister?" Applejack asked.

"Oh, let me think." Toxin replied as he began thinking, it was quiet for quite some time. "I don't really know his sister's name, he hasn't mentioned it in front of me, but I'm thinking it had something to do with his family tradition of being named after apples."

Applejack and Apple Bloom were both quiet as they looked at him, then looked at each other.

"Actually, I think he mentioned that you were his grand-niece." Toxin added as he looked at Apple Bloom.

"Could he be talking about Granny Smith?" Apple Bloom asked Applejack.

"Perhaps." Applejack replied.

After another few minutes, Toxin stopped at an old looking mailbox covered in vines and plants, Toxin looked at Applejack and Apple Bloom.

"Just follow this trail, it'll take you somewhere you can get help." He said, he looked to his side to see Rose was still there crying. "Let's get home, I'm sure Death's waiting for us to make sure you're okay."

"Okay." Rose sniffled.

Toxin and Rose began walking back into the forest, Applejack began leading Apple Bloom along the trail and they eventually ended up back in Ponyville, they got back to the Apple farm and went in.

"Are you two okay?" Granny Smith asked in worry.

"Yeah, we just got a little lost." Applejack replied.

"I'm talking about the bridge." Granny Smith said.

"Wait, how'd you know about that?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Death showed up just a while ago, he wanted to see you both to make sure you were okay." Granny Smith replied.

She took them into the kitchen to see Death was sitting and eating apple pie, Apple Bloom ran over and hugged him.

"Are you okay?" Apple Bloom asked.

"I'm just fine, just a little sore is all." Death replied.

"Thank you so much for saving Applejack, I don't know what I'd do without her." Apple Bloom said.

"Well, I didn't want to reap a pony that didn't deserve it." Death said. "Most ponies think that all I do is take lives, but that's not true, because even though I'm all-powerful with my magic, I don't like hurting others." He looked away a little upset. "To tell you the truth, I hate death."

Apple Bloom looked at Applejack, as if telling her to thank him, she somewhat did.

"Anyways, I should be heading off, I know Rose is expecting me to visit her." Death said as he got up, he began walking to the door with a limp, he stopped and made a small portal and pulled out Applejack's hat. "Here, you don't look like yourself without this."

"Uh, thanks." Applejack said as she took it.

Death kept walking as a larger portal opened, he stepped through it and was gone.

"I'm so glad we're such good friends." Granny Smith said as she went back inside.

"Why are you friends with him?" Applejack asked. "He's just going to reap you later!"

"If it wasn't for Death, I wouldn't have a cutie mark." Granny Smith replied. "Good night."

Granny Smith went to her room for the night, leaving Applejack and Apple Bloom to think about what she said.