1

One summer night, I laid wide awake in my bed. I somehow just couldn't manage to get myself to fall asleep. I rolled over and picked up my phone to check what time it was, and realised that it was about 11:50. Everyone's probably sound asleep, I thought to myself. I waited and listened, and found out that I was right. Not a single sound in the house. Not a creak of floorboards, no-

*SQUEEEEAAKKK* 

*VSSHHHHHHH*

I sat up in my bed at the strange noise.

"That sounds like the bathroom sink," I said out loud. 

I threw my covers off and grabbed my phone to use as a flashlight. I quietly walked over to my bedroom door and pried it open, not wanting to wake my parents. I waited a few seconds to be on the safe side, then continued my adventure towards the bathroom.

My hallway isn't very long since I live in a fairly small house, so it took me no time to get to the bathroom and close the door behind me. When I turned on the lights and looked down at the sink, the noise had stopped and no water was coming out.

"Hm." I said to myself, looking at my reflection in the mirror. I decided that it was just better to go back to bed and sleep for the rest of the night. But when I touched the door handle, a shiver went down my spine.

"Something's not right..." I said, but I opened the door anyway and stepped out into the hall, turning off the bathroom light. At the back of my mind, I had this sudden urge to go to the living room, so I narrowed my eyes and turned on my phone flashlight. At first I squinted in the bright light that lit up the hallway, but then my eyes adjusted, and I realised that the house looked creepy at night. The floorboards creaked with every step I took down the hallway. I couldn't help it, it's an old house. 

I looked out the window to see how light it was outside because I was too lazy to check my phone time. What kind of logic was that? I have no idea.

But when I looked up into the sky, I noticed something. The sky was blood red, and there was no moon. I raised my eyebrow.

"The hell?" I questioned my sanity as I stepped back, away from the window.

Suddenly, I bumped into something... or should I say... someONE. I jumped forward in shock and dropped my phone, the flashlight turning off.

"Dammit," I mumbled, then turned around to face what was behind me.

I widened my eyes as I looked at what I had bumped into. It was a man. A man with short black hair, and a black suit.

I was speechless. The only thought that was in m head was...

"Demon..." I whispered, as we locked eyes. I blinked and he disappeared, as if he wasnt even there to begin with.

"Shhhh~" I heard in my ear, as if the man was whispering to me. It almost sounded like the wind when you walk through the forest late at night. Except I was inside. I was frozen with fear. I couldn't move my body. All I could move were my eyes.

Footsteps... I could hear footsteps walking down the hallway towards the bedrooms.

I shut my eyes tight and hoped he wouldn't hurt my sleeping family.

Suddenly, I heard the basement door being opened, then slammed closed. I waited and listened to see if my parents had woken up.

They didn't.

My breathing returned to normal, and I could move again. I picked up my phone and checked the time: Midnight. Which is also known as the "haunting hour" or the "witching hour", in some cases. I rushed to the basement door, the curiosity getting the best of me.

My hand rested on the doorknob. I hesitated. Why did I want to go down in the first place?

I was curious, that's why. I love all things supernatural, magical... you name it. I loved the scary experiences. That's why I opened the door.

I looked down the stairs, facing my fears. A chill went down my spine as two red, glowing eyes stared back at me.

Immediately, I shut the door and ran back into my bedroom, throwing my covers over my head, not even bothering to plug my phone in.

I stayed like that for the rest of the night, finally getting to sleep.

The next morning, I asked my parents if they had heard anything strange last night. They said they heard nothing. If there was something, they would have heard it and got up right away.

I then said to my parents that I heard the sink running and I got up to turn it off. They never thought anything of it.

I've been telling my parents about my paranormal experiences in bits and pieces. They believe me, for the most part.

To this day, I can't go down to the basement by myself after the sun sets without locking myself in the basement bathroom for 20 minutes and then running back upstairs to my parents and crawling into their bed like a three year old.

And what am I running away from? My own personal demon. You know that saying; I can't drown my demons, because they know how to swim? Well, I can't escape my demon because he lives in my basement.