Derek

"Hey man, what's up?"

"Hey dude!" I pull Jay in and slap him on the back, forcing him into a so-called bro hug. "How was your summer?" I ask, looking at my schedule.

Great. I have Math, Debate, AP Goverment, and a free period before lunch. My favorite! (note the sarcasm) 

"Boring," Jay answers. "I'm so psyched for this year. We're seniors man!"

I chuckle, enjoying the moment of walking down the school hallway, seeing the cheerleaders stop and giggle and the Freshman freeze in their tracks, hoping they don't get stuffed into garbage cans on their first day. 

"I'm planning on making this year the best," I say to Jay. "I'm leaving the past behind, and focusing on the present." 

Jay smiles, full and genuine. "Yeah, this year is going to rock."

------------------------------------------------------

When I walk into AP Goverment, my least favorite class may I add, I look around the room to find a seat.

I see her.

The girl I met a few days back. Shit. What was her name? Oh right, Kat. I quickly grab a seat a couple of desks away from her.

I take in her blonde hair. Those bright green eyes.

She doesn't notice me, I hope not or that means she's avoiding my gaze, but it's like she radiates the whole room. Damn, cheesy much Derek?  I notice her fingers are twisting around a pen like she's nervous. Can fingers be sexy? Ugh, stay focused. 

Right as I'm about to lean over and say something to her, Mr. Waters, (AP Gov teacher who I dispise) walks in, and I look away from Kat.

After the class, I see Kat and run over to her. "Hey Kat!" She turns, looking surprised. "Oh, hey. It's Derek, right?"

"Yeah, that's me," I say casually. 

"We were just in class together, AP Gov, you into that stuff?" I ask, trying to make conversation. 

She scoffs and looks at me. "Hell no, I'm more of an English girl." 

I smile at her and she grins. "I'll walk you to your next class, what do you have?" 

She glances at her schedule which is covered in doodles. "I have a free period."

"Oh perfect, I also have a free. How about I take you off campus and have an extra long lunch break?" 

"We can do that? Go off campus I mean."

"Seniors are allowed to go off the campus during free periods." 

"Well then lets go slow poke!" She starts jogging towards the parking lot and I run after her, chuckling.

Hope you enjoy. Stay tuned.

--

lightningstrikes