Prologue

"Last year of school, Elizabeth. You can do it and then you will never have to see any of them again," I whispered to myself in the mirror. I took a deep breath in and fixed my hair so it wasn't hanging in my face.

I quickly chucked the covers up to the pillows on my bed and called it an attempt to make my bed before grabbing my bag and walking out of my room. I made the short walk to my mum's room and slowly opened the squeaking door.

"Mum? I'm going to school," I said quietly but still loud enough for her to hear. I didn't get a reply though, which shouldn't have been surprised me. I closed the door again and walked downstairs to leave the house. By the time I got out and locked the door, my friend was already waiting for me. I quickly ran down the path and jumped in the passenger seat.

"One more year to go, let's do this," My friend exclaimed which made me laugh as she pulled out.

***

"Are we nearly finished with high school yet?" I complained as I placed my tray on the table and sat with my friend.

"We are only just having lunch on the first day," My friend laughed as she finished writing out a text message she was sending. As she was distracted, my attention was diverted as I watched as the doors opened to the cafeteria and the boy I had a crush on since 9th grade. Josh Dun. Then again, nearly the whole grade also had a crush on him. He was different though, he didn't let the attention go to his head. He was still kind, but I was invisible to him. He continued walking in with his friends as they all laugh. I must have been staring as I felt my friend poke my shoulder. I quickly turned around to see her about to start laughing. I roll my eyes and start to eat my lunch.

"Elizabeth, why don't you just tell him you like him?" My friend asked as she picked her apple up off her tray.

"He doesn't even know who I am, I ran into the halls and he went to go say sorry but I could see it written all over his face. He doesn't even know my name," I mumbled as I stabbed my food with my fork.

"Well, I guess you'll never know if you don't try," She shrugged her shoulders, annoyed that I wouldn't take her advice. I turned around again and stared at where Josh was sitting. Should I ask him? All of a sudden we made eye contact and he gave me a warm smile. I quickly turned around and pretended that I wasn't just staring at him.

"I'm just invisible."

***
Hey, so this is the prologue for my new story. Chapter one is set a few years after the prologue :)